• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a house bunny play in the snow?

lottie_s

Warren Scout
All these bunnies seem to be having loads of fun in the snow is it bad to let a house bunny out for a few mins?

I wouldn't allow my house bunnies outside, they haven't got winter coats for one thing, and they find it difficult to cope with extremes in temp.

I havent let them out purely because of the extreme temperatures. Is it only outdoor bunnies that will develop a winter coat then?

Most people on here say no..... I havent taken Rimmi and Winter out in it either, its too damn cold out there!!! Guess it depends how warm your house is too, if you have a freezing cold house...ie, no heaters, then there probably wouldnt be much of an issue. I know buns have fur coats and all that, but house buns dont grow really thick ones to deal with the weather outside because they arent exposed to cold weather, so it would be like you going outside in shorts and Tshirt ... *brrr*

your outdoor bunnies will have been developing their winter coats since September when it began to get cold. They will then start to shed that coat for their summer ones in March April, when it begins to get significantly warmer. Indoor bunnies don' t need to develop these coats as the temperatures are regulated for them.

If you start putting indoor bunnies outside, not only will they get seriously cold, but by breathing in cold are when they are not used to it can create illnesses such as pneumonia.

You are best leaving them as they are, if you don't want to be out in this, neither will they

My Wilm still gets a bit of a winter coat despite being an indoor bunny, he has a really cute malt every spring where he looks like he's wearing a skirt :D I wouldn't let him out though as they don't cope well with changes in temperature.

One of my outdoor buns couldn't cope with the cold weather and I've had to bring him back inside, (he'd been outside since July), he stopped eating and was just sitting huddled in the corner, it really isn't worth the risk of possibly making them ill.

I wouldn't risk it myself. Would LOVE to get pics of my house buns in the snow ... but it ain't gonna happen!

Indoor rabbits can be out in the snow just fine, but not for very long, and its important to make sure they're always moving. If they sit still too long they get cold,

And I'm saying this as a Norwegian:p
Winters here are REALLY cold.

Indoor rabbits can be out in the snow just fine, but not for very long, and its important to make sure they're always moving. If they sit still too long they get cold,

And I'm saying this as a Norwegian:p
Winters here are REALLY cold.

I don't think you can really say that though as there are so many factors involved.

It's a risk at the end of the day - and an unecessary one at that - and it's not one I'd be prepared to take. When my bunnies come here they'll be indoors for the Winter and that's where they'll stay.

Louie's been out but then he goes in and out of the house everyday no matter what the weather.

On Boxing day my 2 house bunnies went out in the snow for about 5 mins each and loved it. I wouldn't leave them outside inthe snow thought. My 2 haven't been back out as the snow is now to deep.

My house bunny Fudge isnt allowed out but she hates outdoors no matter the weather so i bring outdoors inside:D
She enjoys her bowl of snow from the luxury of her warm cosy home :)

I read this when it was originally posted :D

I posted it so that the OP could see and make up their mind. - sorry - didn't mean it to come across as being for you. ;) I know it's an older thread but I think it has some valid points in it.

I would have posted it originally but it took me ages to find it! :p

:wave: I bring the snow in for my bunnies and they love it! If you have a box (like the bottom of an old cage, or an underbed storage box) fill it with snow, and bring it in. I just leave it in the room for them to investigate. They love to dig in it, as soon as the novelty wears off I put it back outside.

You may want to put some towels down if you do this! ;)

snowboth.jpg

snowtravis.jpg

snowtreacle.jpg

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk5DpfP6W3s

This works for me. Mine get 'time out' every day whatever the weather - Muppet insists on it, Sooty generally stays in. I just open the door and let them decide :D The door stays open so they can come back in when they want. This morning they both went out but Sooty came back in very quickly (!) and Muppet stayed out for awhile. This evening even Muppet's not wanted to go out (this is unusual but he's a bit poorly at the moment).

They're both houserabbits, living a room with no direct heat source (but heated indirectly from other rooms that open onto it). They do have a winter coat of sorts but obviously couldnt live outdoors.

On cold cold days, I tell Muppet to come in when he stops exploring as it is too cold to just sit there. (Plus I leave the door open throughout and I'm bl**dy freezing too!!!)

I love the snow pit box idea though :lol:

Back