• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits regrow their whiskers?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Random sort of question...

Jack seems to have had most the whiskers - save for four long ones - on his right side cut off. I'm assuming they've been cut, because they're all the same length and so short you barely see them. :( He's a bunny I found living rough in some gardens, so I've got no idea what happened to him before he came here and took over my room.

Do rabbits shed their whiskers and grow new ones, or are a set of whiskers meant to last a rabbit a lifetime? :shock:

As far as I know they shed and grow new ones though i think it tkes a while :) my bun has whiskers with kinks in on occasion but they diappear after a couple of months, and one time when I was petting him I noticed one on the floor infront of him :S so I'm pretty sure they regrow them. :)

He also likes catching spiders webs with his whiskers and trying to eat them ^o^ he's such a funny one!

matthew rabbit lost his left whiskers in an accident (presumably. one minute he had them, next he didn't) and they grew back perfectly.

when Kasper was ebing naughty and jumped up on the table he sniffed a lit candle before i could get him....his wiskers on one side were burned off :oops::cry::cry::shock: He didnt seem in pain he ran off and a few mins later he was binking again,, after a coupel mosnth you would bever been able to tell hed lost his wishker they had grown back perfectly fine

Yes, they are just a different type of hair so they regrown. Alfie never used to have whiskers cos Gypsy groomed them short :roll:

when Kasper was ebing naughty and jumped up on the table he sniffed a lit candle before i could get him....his wiskers on one side were burned off :oops::cry::cry::shock: He didnt seem in pain he ran off and a few mins later he was binking again,, after a coupel mosnth you would bever been able to tell hed lost his wishker they had grown back perfectly fine

I did the same thing!! I had a candle on the floor in the bathroom while playing with Eddison. He was going to sniff it and check it out, so I let him, thinking that he would feel the heat and back off. Sure enough, he felt the heat and turned away, but turned his whiskers right into the flames! :shock: I felt awful, but they grew back just fine. :lol:

I find my cats wiskers all the time...Have a fine collection in a china mug in the cupboard...:oops::oops::oops:
Seems daft to say I keep them...but I will look for bunny wiskers from now on aswell!!!:shock:

I find my cats wiskers all the time...Have a fine collection in a china mug in the cupboard...:oops::oops::oops:
Seems daft to say I keep them...but I will look for bunny wiskers from now on aswell!!!:shock:

I pity the person who finds your collection if you move house and leave it behind....:shock:

Ohhhh-kayyyyy!:shock::lol:

Pickle has the beautifulest whiskers ever!!! One's short and has a couple of little kinks in it, and's especially sweet! :love:

Ginger's whiskers are strange! They disappear, grow again all different lengths, then disappear again! I think Pickle must groom them off of him. He still has an adorable little face though, and it doesn't seem to bother him.

I did the same thing!! I had a candle on the floor in the bathroom while playing with Eddison. He was going to sniff it and check it out, so I let him, thinking that he would feel the heat and back off. Sure enough, he felt the heat and turned away, but turned his whiskers right into the flames! :shock: I felt awful, but they grew back just fine. :lol:

omg i feel so much better knowing im not the only one who had that happened!

I felt to bad afterwards but had alittle luagh as Kasper looked so funny with out his wiskers

Yes buns definitely moult & regrow their whiskers.
Thumper gets quite long thick "grandpa chops" before a moult - they don't half tickle when he "grooms" my face!!

My severely abused rescue cat, Henry, had had all his whiskers pulled out, including the vibrissae over his eyes. He wasn't half handsome when they all regrew.

Oh no, this just happened to my bunny

Hey, this just happened to my rabbit too, he is 15 weeks and just jumped up a table where he sniffed a lit candle and now some of his whiskers are singed half way or less!... hes acting normal tho but im really shocked... i hope they grow back really soon... how long did it take to see a change- u said about two months to look completely back to normal... i hope my bunnys okay tho. Did you do anything or take Kasper to the vet when this happened, or did you just leave it to the natural process of things.... any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!

We can't do anything about it, & it doesn't need a vet visit.
Sure accidents will happen, especially to young bunnies finding out about the world. I had to "think" in terms of what a toddler would get up to, when mine was young.

With the gas fire I used a guard so he didn't burn his nose on the glass front, & gradually taught him saying "danger -hot" both feeling frightened & in a frightened voice. He trained up very nicely to the concept of danger, rather than no, which just wasn't in his extensive vocabulary.
I was capitalising on buns being prey animals & mentally geared to avoiding danger. I don't know if anyone else used this approach.

Yes they do re-grow, my little rex had his cut by his previous owners - why - god knows but, they have grown back now :D

You're not the only ones, the same thing happened to Gasket once. You should have seen the look on the poor bun's face!! :shock:

Back