Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to rabbits

Hybrid View

Default New to rabbits

Hello!
    My 9 year old daughter is learning to use a spinning wheel. We would like to spin rabbit fur. I have a few questions...
    What type of rabbits should we buy?
    What is the average price for the rabbits?
    When do you remove the fur and how do you do it?
    We are in 4H and she may even want to do a rabbit project with them.
    Thanks!!!

Alpha Buck

imno expert what soo everon this subject but I believe anogoras are most commonly used here a site with some info.but Im sure others heremay be able to help.

http://www.angorarabbit.com/angora/a...nual/index.htm

maybe you could check out rescues to see if they have any anogras

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

The best idea would be to get in touch with other people that spin rabbit fur. They'll be able to guide you towards the best breeds/breeders. Most of us here just keep them as pets

Is your daughter also interested in rabbits? Liking spinning doesn't necessarily translate to wanting to clean out rabbits for the next 5-10years The other option would be to make friends with some angora breeders in your area and collect wool from them

It's an Angora you need, English Angora's look to have the longest wool, but I think you need an American breeder/exhibitor forum to confirm that. You can ever shear the rabbit (like you would a sheep, although be careful, because rabbit skin is like paper), or you could pluck the rabbits fur when moulting
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

Perhaps rather than buying a rabbit you could buy the wool? I bet there are owners about that dont use it. I have tons spare from my angora
    Fourth year vet student Visit my website for pet themed gifts www.petparadisegifts.com

I would definitely not recommend that you purchase rabbits for this project.

Rabbits live for up to 12 years, will need constant care including daily clean outs, are prone to a range of digestive problems if not looked after properly, need a lot of space to run around and stay healthy, and are basically high maintenance pets who need you to really care a lot for them.

Angora rabbits are also even more demanding of care as their fur is long and tangles easily - they need constant trimming.

Rabbits are incredibly rewarding pets IF you can give them large amounts of space, lots of your time, constant love, and are prepared to invest large sums of money in suitable housing, vets fees (vaccines and neutering and any illnesses), good quality hay and feeds.

Otherwise just buy rabbit hair elsewhere (although please check it is not from one of the awful rabbit farms that exist).Rescues are already full with 30,000 rabbits a year passed to rescues after they were purchased on 'a whim'.
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

I am really disturbed by this thread I don't understand what's going on..

Mama Doe

Right, let's get this straight. You want to buy a rabbit to satisfy a hobby of your daughter's that will surely not last, despite knowing NOTHING about them. What's wrong with sheep wool?

God, what a horrible thread
    Erin and Paul - Bunny Mummy and Daddy to: Moley and Squirrel / Uno, Pico and Amelie / Bea, Florrie, Archie and Reggie / Pancake and Billy / Penny and Albie / Geronimo, Solomon and Luna

Binky free our beautiful Louis and Lilia - until we meet again. xxx

http://www.wagnwoof.co.uk/

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Homestead Mom View Post
    Hello!
    My 9 year old daughter is learning to use a spinning wheel. We would like to spin rabbit fur. I have a few questions...
    What type of rabbits should we buy?
    What is the average price for the rabbits?
    When do you remove the fur and how do you do it?
    We are in 4H and she may even want to do a rabbit project with them.
    Thanks!!!
    I thought 4-H were trying to move away from their animal based projects now?
    Why not get in touch with ARBA, and find breeders who keep wool producers in your area, and see if they will supply you with wool rather than rabbits?