• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to rabbits

Hello!
My 9 year old daughter is learning to use a spinning wheel. We would like to spin rabbit fur. I have a few questions...
What type of rabbits should we buy?
What is the average price for the rabbits?
When do you remove the fur and how do you do it?
We are in 4H and she may even want to do a rabbit project with them.
Thanks!!!:)

The best idea would be to get in touch with other people that spin rabbit fur. They'll be able to guide you towards the best breeds/breeders. Most of us here just keep them as pets :)

Is your daughter also interested in rabbits? Liking spinning doesn't necessarily translate to wanting to clean out rabbits for the next 5-10years ;) The other option would be to make friends with some angora breeders in your area and collect wool from them :)

It's an Angora you need, English Angora's look to have the longest wool, but I think you need an American breeder/exhibitor forum to confirm that. You can ever shear the rabbit (like you would a sheep, although be careful, because rabbit skin is like paper), or you could pluck the rabbits fur when moulting :)

Perhaps rather than buying a rabbit you could buy the wool? I bet there are owners about that dont use it. I have tons spare from my angora:)

I would definitely not recommend that you purchase rabbits for this project.

Rabbits live for up to 12 years, will need constant care including daily clean outs, are prone to a range of digestive problems if not looked after properly, need a lot of space to run around and stay healthy, and are basically high maintenance pets who need you to really care a lot for them.

Angora rabbits are also even more demanding of care as their fur is long and tangles easily - they need constant trimming.

Rabbits are incredibly rewarding pets IF you can give them large amounts of space, lots of your time, constant love, and are prepared to invest large sums of money in suitable housing, vets fees (vaccines and neutering and any illnesses), good quality hay and feeds.

Otherwise just buy rabbit hair elsewhere (although please check it is not from one of the awful rabbit farms that exist).Rescues are already full with 30,000 rabbits a year passed to rescues after they were purchased on 'a whim'.

I am really disturbed by this thread :( I don't understand what's going on..

THe OP wants to buy rabbits so she can use their fur for her daughter to use on the spinning wheel :cry:

I am disturbed by this too. As people have said above, rabbits are hard work. Angoras will need regular grooming to keep their fur clean and unmatted, which will take up alot of time daily. Rabbits are expensive too, vaccinations, neutering, housing, health problems, all adds up.

Please think about buying angora wool from somewhere reputable rather than buying the actual rabbits :cry: xXx

Right, let's get this straight. You want to buy a rabbit to satisfy a hobby of your daughter's that will surely not last, despite knowing NOTHING about them. What's wrong with sheep wool?

Before you buy a rabbit you should research everything about owning them. They're living beings and it's a massive responisility like any pet. Angoras are even more so as they need regular grooming.

Hello!
My 9 year old daughter is learning to use a spinning wheel. We would like to spin rabbit fur. I have a few questions...
What type of rabbits should we buy?
What is the average price for the rabbits?
When do you remove the fur and how do you do it?
We are in 4H and she may even want to do a rabbit project with them.
Thanks!!!:)

I thought 4-H were trying to move away from their animal based projects now?
Why not get in touch with ARBA, and find breeders who keep wool producers in your area, and see if they will supply you with wool rather than rabbits?

who are 4-H???

Just got this off the net:

4-H in the United States and Canada is a youth organization administered by the Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service of the United States Department of Agriculture, with the mission of "engaging youth to reach their fullest potential while advancing the field of youth development."[1] The name represents four personal development areas of focus for the organization: head, heart, hands, and health.

Back