Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad News About Teddy

Default Bad News About Teddy

Hi everyone,

I don't know if you will remember but I posted here a few months ago about my rabbit Teddy who stopped eating, and then got better.
    Well I put him away last night, fed him, he launched himself at his food bowl and started eating like normal, but when I went to feed him again this morning he was dead, and already stiff as a board.

There was no indication that this was imminent, it's come as a totally unexpected (very festive) shock.

The reason I am posting here is that when I found him, his tongue was swollen and blue-ish. I don't know if this was the cause of his death (I don't like to think about it to be honest ) or if this was a symptom of something else. I did a little bit of research just now and it would appear that this can be a symptom of VHD. Do I take him to the vet to find out why he died? Do I take the others to the vet to make sure they don't have whatever it was that caused it? I'm kind of dazed right now.

I love you Teddy.

rural Missouri, the land of sheer boredom...

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you lost Teddy.
    If you are concerned, I would take him to the vet and have them do a post-mortum to see if they can determine the cause of death. It is often not possible to tell, so do what you feel is right.
    My thoughts are with you.
    Binky free little Teddy.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. The blueness may be an indication of lack of oxygen supply as the body shuts down the peripheries to ensure that there is an adequate supply of oxygenated blood to the main essential organs.

This happens in all mammals.

A post mortem may be able to show a cause of death. If this would help you please speak this morning to your vet.
    Purchase your Pledge a Pound hoodie here

Help support the Make Mine Chocolate! campaign and spread the message that rabbits should not be bought on impulse by visiting their shop here

Supporting pet stores without livestock where profits are created ethically

Well I just got back from the vet. It wasn't Myxi, VHD or E. Cunniculi, so he doesn't think Maisie is at any risk, it's just "one of those things". I worry for Maisie though as they were a life bonded pair who barely left each other's sides. When I found Teddy this morning Maisie was sitting cuddled up to him.

Love

what a total horrible shock... im so very sorry for your loss xxx

Alvin my precious angel is no longer living with me *sad face*
    RIP Hollywillaboobie love you forever... Alvin is ruling his own little kingdom at Hopper Haven http://www.hopperhaven.org.uk a bunny paradise

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT PLEDGE A POUND - Visit the Pledge a Pound Website and Forum http://pledgeapound.net/about.php

I'm so sorry. What an awful shock for you. I hope you and Maisie are ok. xxx Sleep tight Teddy.

I'm so sorry for your's and maisie's loss
    Sleep well Teddy xx

i am so sorry. sleep tight teddy, cuddles for maisie. xxx
    Guinea pig slave to - Lily and Piglet

Rabbits loved and missed - Bisc, Matt, Smudge and Patch
    Guinea pigs loved and missed - Popcorn, Mollie, Benjie, Eddie, Maisie and Chesney

Wise Old Thumper

So very sorry for your loss.

Run Free at the Bridge forever Teddy.

Oh thats awful... hope he is happy hopping around in bunny heaven