• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits & ducks-bonding them together

Oh I know it was a really bad joke but I just had to tell it, couldnt help myself! :lol:

Id love it if I had a bigger pond with a few ducks. :love:

Me too, I couldn't have a house one though, as the bunnies are in charge :), and Bobby would be very put out

Is imprinting like what the werewolves do in Twilight?

:lol: Birds can imprint on humans if they were raised by a human without a mom or siblings around. They think the human is their mom and that they are a human And geese imprint on 2 humans- 1 for their mom and one for their dad. http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id6.html That explains it really well :)

Yeah, some people travel everywhere with their duck. The goosemother does (she has geese and 1 duck) and she takes them on walks as if they were dogs (using the place where you can clip a leash onto the diaper harness). Next time we go on a road trip Dill and Will are coming :D

Halfpenny, what's your indian runner like? do they behave just like other ducks or are they different in some ways? Like I've noticed that the muscovys love to tear things up. They made a hole in a cushion once and will destroy pieces of soft wood, etc. But my pekins never do that. My pekins like to make holes in the ground where its wet but the muscovys never do that.

:lol: Birds can imprint on humans if they were raised by a human without a mom or siblings around. They think the human is their mom and that they are a human And geese imprint on 2 humans- 1 for their mom and one for their dad. http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id6.html That explains it really well :)

Yeah, some people travel everywhere with their duck. The goosemother does (she has geese and 1 duck) and she takes them on walks as if they were dogs (using the place where you can clip a leash onto the diaper harness). Next time we go on a road trip Dill and Will are coming :D

Halfpenny, what's your indian runner like? do they behave just like other ducks or are they different in some ways? Like I've noticed that the muscovys love to tear things up. They made a hole in a cushion once and will destroy pieces of soft wood, etc. But my pekins never do that. My pekins like to make holes in the ground where its wet but the muscovys never do that.

they sound amazing, you must post more pics

Is imprinting like what the werewolves do in Twilight? :? They sound like real characters, I guess because this duck my OH's frined only had the one and he was also allowed indoors, he just couldn't go anywhere without him. I know he was a big duck and white. (I know nothing about them to be honest)

You have loads of animals don't you Half Penny?

We have over 100 animals here, 16 different species, I did think it was 15 but I forgot about Monty the wood pigeon.:D

:lol:Halfpenny, what's your indian runner like? do they behave just like other ducks or are they different in some ways? Like I've noticed that the muscovys love to tear things up. They made a hole in a cushion once and will destroy pieces of soft wood, etc. But my pekins never do that. My pekins like to make holes in the ground where its wet but the muscovys never do that.

The indian runner is like other ducks, they can be a bit less balanced if they run in a panic though because they are so upright. They also don't fly, some of the call ducks and other small breeds can fly enough to get out of enclosures. We have to clip Iris and Kermit's wing feathers because they end up outside the run, but are not good enough flyers to get away from predators!:roll:

The indian runner is like other ducks, they can be a bit less balanced if they run in a panic though because they are so upright. They also don't fly, some of the call ducks and other small breeds can fly enough to get out of enclosures. We have to clip Iris and Kermit's wing feathers because they end up outside the run, but are not good enough flyers to get away from predators!:roll:

Yeah, this is why I doubt I'd have calls indoors. I'm always glad that Dill & Will can't get on top of furniture and things like that. I've heard that calls can completely fly if you don't clip them but they usually prefer not to, is that true? 3 ducks indoors is probably my limit, anyway... if I were to get another anytime soon and have it be indoors part time it'd probably be a cayugas. They are so gorgeous. :love: I think we nearly got some of them (as ducklings, so I'm not completely sure thats what they were) when we got our Pekins.

Shelly, I'll try and take pics today. :) And a video showing the tricks Dill can do, they're both like feathered dogs in their personality :lol:

We haven't had calls but the 2 little ducks we have are similar and they sometimes ( just as we realise they need their wings clipped:lol:) fly over the 5 ft fence and spend the rest of the time trying to get back in, they never seem to think about flying back in though.:roll:

The black east indies are like miniture cayugas. The cayugas are lovely birds and I think they lay eggs covered with a black sooty bloom, the east indies do when they first lay but gradually the sootiness gets less and less. Our old east indie girl is now bottle green and white, she was completely green when she was younger but they get more and more white feathers as they age.

That's cool about the eggs, I hadn't heard of that. If I do get a cay I probably won't see any eggs, as I'm quite good at "guess sexing" baby animals so I'll try to get a male duckling. :oops::( I'm terrified of egg problems with girls, or else I'd probably try to get a girl. Especially because of mating (he might harass Dill or my other females), but then, if I imprint him, I guess he wouldn't ever mate?

I like east indies too, and it would be nice to have a smaller duck (Pekins are the only ducks I've technically ever owned and cays are about the size of a Pekin) but I suppose they wouldn't be the best choice for an indoor bird since they can fly.

Back