• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing a rex rabbit

Bunyipboy

Young Bun
Hey Everyone (sorta new here.. didnt realise I had a sign-in already but got recommended this place by a friend, and am back! :)

My main question is.. can you happily house a standard rex rabbit outside? ( ie sore hocks prevention and possibly non-waterproof coat? Thats what ive heard..)
2) With careful interactions and neutering, can a rex and flemish happily live together? (Dont have either yet but thats what I would like..)
3) Any recommendation on what a good size and a minimum size cage for housing these two? I build them myself but like to compare the difference and come up with something appropriate..

HI I have a rex and he is outside, he used to be in a normal hutch but now has a shed and is much happier. As for flooring in the hutch he HAS to be on woodshavings and hay - not straw as it iritates his hocks, he also likes soft grass and not hard decking or patio areas.

When he does get sore hocks i use sudocrem for it. AS for the other rabbit i am sorry but i can't help with that.

My main question is.. can you happily house a standard rex rabbit outside? ( ie sore hocks prevention and possibly non-waterproof coat? Thats what ive heard..)I'm not sure. I hope somebody else can answer this.
2) With careful interactions and neutering, can a rex and flemish happily live together? (Dont have either yet but thats what I would like..)Yes:). It's the rabbits' personalities and not their size that matters.
3) Any recommendation on what a good size and a minimum size cage for housing these two? I build them myself but like to compare the difference and come up with something appropriate..You'll probably need a shed or a wendy house with an attached run.

My rex lives outside in a playhouse with lino type flooring (The nonslip stuff) and a concrete paving slab run (9' x 12' enclosing the playhouse - 24 hour access to the run.) He's absolutely fine! He used to live in a hutch but I felt sorry for him so now he has this palace and DH is jealous of him! :lol:

I can't really help with the rex related questions - I've never had one so I don't have a clue! :lol: Although I have a friend that breeds them and I'm pretty sure she keeps hers in an outside shed. :)

I do keep a continental giant with a much smaller bunny though - They get on great! As Antigone said, it's their personalities that matter. My littler bun is the boss, surprisingly! When you do get some bunnies, come back and post some pictures! :love:

Back