• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So hard to accept my little baby’s gone...

o0o

Young Bun
My gorgeous little lop eared bun, Bibi went to bunny heaven (or Rainbow Bridge?) just last week. Oh dear, this is still so very upsetting. :'( He was a rescue rabbit and about 3yrs old. What the vet thought was a tooth infection turned out to be a very rare tumour which she found out whilst performing the surgery. :( I was in such shock as the vet was discussing how she would go through the after-care for Bibi once I took him home later that day. But she called me after the operation with the bad news and asked for permission to put him to sleep. She offered me the chance to take him home just for the night so we could spend our last moments together but I had to take him back the next day to be put to sleep. It was so hard to try and make the right decision on the spot. How do people make this kind of decision?? I’m so glad me, my sister and Nosey (Bibi's lop-eared friend) got a chance to say goodbye but at the same time, I really didn’t want Bibi to suffer. Although, the vet said she can put him on painkillers so he will feel comfortable for the night so in the end, I decided to take him home. He didn’t seem in pain that night and even took bits of his favourite fruit from me.

The vet assured me that there was nothing I did wrong and that I’m just very unlucky but I feel so horrible and guilty, especially as he still seemed his bright and cheery self. I feel like I could of done more even though our vet tells me that there was nothing else I could have done. I wonder if anyone else feels this way or is it that the experience of losing a rabbit is still very new to me? My poor Nosey has now lost two friends and I’ve been spending a lot of time with her and giving her lots of love, although I’m sure I am no substitute for a rabbit friend!

We miss you so so much Bibi…

I know it's easier said than done, but don't feel that way.

Because it was caught quickly, and you made that decision he never had to suffer any pain.

He will be waiting for you at the Bridge. You are in my thoughts.

xxx

I'm so sorry for your loss :( It is never easy to make these kinds of decisions and when it comes down to it, all you can do is go with your instinct. If Bibi seemed comfortable during his last night then I'm sure you did the right thing.

I think everyone feels guilty to some extent when they lose a pet, even when deep down you know you couldn't have done anything more. At the end of the day, you gave Bibi a loving home and helped him to pass on peacefully when the time was right, and that's all anyone can do. Hope you're feeling better soon. x

Please don't feel guilty about the loss of your much loved Bibi, sometimes things happen over which we have no control. Rather, take comfort from the fact that you were able to display to him how much you cared and could be with him as he crossed to the bridge. I believe that would have meant a lot to him.:(

Im so sorry for your loss,big hugs to you at this devestating time.Sleep tight beautiful Bibi xxxxxxx

Thank you so much everyone...

A huge thank you to you all for your messages. It means alot to read your messages of support and understanding. Family and friends are supportive but there is something special about sharing this with other rabbit owners. :) I really hope Bibi knows that I made the decision out of love. Whatever else I felt, the bottom line was not to let him suffer if he couldn't be saved.

I know animals don't smile (do they?) but Bibi looked like he was always smiling... or maybe it's just me. He was such a good gentle bunny.. just a teeny bit bossy when it came to being groomed. ;) Always nudging Nosey for a looooong grooming session and not always returning the favour! Poor Nosey always got the raw end of the deal.

A huge thank you to you all for your messages. It means alot to read your messages of support and understanding. Family and friends are supportive but there is something special about sharing this with other rabbit owners. :) I really hope Bibi knows that I made the decision out of love. Whatever else I felt, the bottom line was not to let him suffer if he couldn't be saved.

I know animals don't smile (do they?) but Bibi looked like he was always smiling... or maybe it's just me. He was such a good gentle bunny.. just a teeny bit bossy when it came to being groomed. ;) Always nudging Nosey for a looooong grooming session and not always returning the favour! Poor Nosey always got the raw end of the deal.

This brought a tear to my eye.

Have you read the Rainbow Bridge poem? It is beautiful and it might give you some comfort (although maybe when you are a bit stronger, it chokes me up at the best of times).

xxx

This brought a tear to my eye.

Have you read the Rainbow Bridge poem? It is beautiful and it might give you some comfort (although maybe when you are a bit stronger, it chokes me up at the best of times).

xxx

Thanks for your kind message. :) I'm afraid I'm very new to all of this but very thankful to find such a lovely and informative forum. Where can I find the Rainbow Bridge poem, is it particular one? I will read it at a quiet moment at home. Every time I think of Bibi I still cry... not sure if or when that will stop.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( It is never easy to make these kinds of decisions and when it comes down to it, all you can do is go with your instinct. If Bibi seemed comfortable during his last night then I'm sure you did the right thing.

I think everyone feels guilty to some extent when they lose a pet, even when deep down you know you couldn't have done anything more. At the end of the day, you gave Bibi a loving home and helped him to pass on peacefully when the time was right, and that's all anyone can do. Hope you're feeling better soon. x

Thanks for your very kind message. Sorry I'm only replying now but I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know how to reply to individual messages until now :oops:

You're right, deep down i know that was the right thing to do at the time but i still can't help going through the 'what ifs'. What if I took Bibi to the vet as soon as i noticed the slight change in eating habit, what if we did an xray instead of trying a second type of antibiotic. I don't feel like a very good 'rabbit mummy' at the moment but am still trying my best.

Back