• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange sound?

Sandra

Warren Scout
My husband is alone home in Jordan with the rabbits as I am abroad for a few weeks. Strange sounds are now coming from our girl Mýsla (almost 3 years old). He says it sounds like nasal sounds and it comes and goes. One day he can hear it and then it is gone, only to come back a few days later. He took her to the vet last week and the vet said there were no lung sounds or respiratory sounds and just wanted to wait and see. There is also no nasal discharge and she is eating and drinking and being her frisky self.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks,
Sandra

My husband is alone home in Jordan with the rabbits as I am abroad for a few weeks. Strange sounds are now coming from our girl Mýsla (almost 3 years old). He says it sounds like nasal sounds and it comes and goes. One day he can hear it and then it is gone, only to come back a few days later. He took her to the vet last week and the vet said there were no lung sounds or respiratory sounds and just wanted to wait and see. There is also no nasal discharge and she is eating and drinking and being her frisky self.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks,
Sandra

It could be bunny snoring as I have a couple that make noises when sleeping sounds awful as if they have something wrong with their nasal passage but they only do it it when they are fast asleep, and the vet has found nothing wrong with them otherwise.

Awwwhh, rabbit snoring sounds cute! :lol:

I never realised before I had rabbits that there are so many noises they make, grunting, growling... even screaming (although that's only happened once when I had to grab my bunny before she fell off the balcony :shock: ).

When does Mysla make these noises? If it's when she's asleep then it sounds like Tuckerbunnies is right with the snoring thing :) Sometimes rabbits can growl - especially females. If she's getting a bit older and grumpy (as rabbits do! :lol: ) then it could be that she's growling at your husband. Maybe she does it when he takes her food bowl or something?!

Of course it could just be that it's normal for her. If she's acting healthy, eating, drinking and seems quite happy then I wouldn't worry. Take her back to the vet if her nose starts running or she seems unwell but otherwise I'd just let her get on with it :D

I was going to suggest snoring too. It sounds like it could be that...
Pipkin does it too. It sort of goes in and out with his breathing and sounds like he's having difficulty breathing. I was pretty alarmed the first time I heard it! He only does it when he's fast asleep. I find it kinda cute now, lol.

ETA: Found this - you might need to turn the volume up. That's what Pipkin sounds like.

Last edited:
Yeah my Bunny makes strange noises when sleeping, although she sounds like she is moaning and whimpering more than anything.
I shouldn't worry if the vet said she is in good health.

Back