• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

another vet trip for me mums bun....anyone with ideas?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
Sigh..i have had to rush my mums bunny down to the vets to take her into the vet hospital as she wasnt eating or pooping for about 3hrs this morning and wouldnt settle....

i have been told to avoid me mum for 5 days as shes been in contact with swine flu.....for nikkis healths sake..just in case. So then i get a call.debbie i think hunnybunnys ill.

i made my mums stay upstairs and i came and got her....put her in ehr carrier and she didnt struggle or run..full of gas her tummy was pretty solid.
i made it by taxi just in the nick of time and had to leave her for ellen to take across.

ellen rang my mum and said she couldnt understand why this poor bunny has got so much gas and why she is so ill with it. ellens given her fluids iv and syringe feeds..metaclop jabs etc..there wasnt enough passing thru..she still hadnt gone and was still full of gas!!
Mum told me they said shes gotta stay in tonight.

i am funimg as wed got her diet sorted out from last time.....then mum admits..i gave her some blades of grass...which is not on her menu these days. only a few she said...then...well maybe 12..just enough for a nibble.

aarghhhh

also tho my mums furious over the wholeswine flu thingy and cursing as it now turns out the person came down to my mums laready sick!!!

anyhoo....i am worried as this happens with bif when shes extremely stressed...and i know mums been having a tough time with her neighbour and her teenage kids hammering even at midnight etc....but the woman has also put her tv on the wall...and mum has hers up too so just as bad...and the bunnys cage base is next to the telly.

i keep trying to get her to move it but shes still like...no shes hapy there...etc etc.:roll:

this is worrying as id got mum to cut out all her pet store rabbit treats..the veg that kept gassing her guts..hunnybunny..not my mum:shock::lol:

its a few pinches of dried herbs..excels meadow garden etc bags from pets at home..and wilkies own green oat and dandlelion stuff.

i told my mum dandelions a dierutic..dont give it to ehr every day..oh but a pinch is ok she says....
she cleans out the litter tray completely every night sometimes twice saying its full of wee and a lot of poops and it smells bad...

i had bandit who was like that and willow...pee and poo for britain..and stink for no apparent reason.

i dont get it..shes not had any food pellets dif to my buns..i buy a sack of allen and page natrual pellets and mum has almost half of it. her bun gets fussy and she chucks it out a lot..then ehr bun goes nuts for it.

today she said it was like she was trying to eat her cecals but nothing came down. i told her it was gas...classic. but for with bif i am usually lucky enuff to give her infacol..tummy rubs etc...and it either goes away as its owrking or her fear makes her guff like mad:shock:

hunnybunny just expands!!

any ideas on this one?

i colected her today after chatting with ellen on the phone at middayish.

The fact of the matter is my mum fed her grass..and also she will not stop feeding her treats..i know theyre only dried herbs etc..but she does it to the clock every day!! she even left a pack on my doorstep and instructions!!

i went nuts..ive yelled at her and told her shes saying here for the full tube of panacur...9 to 14days worth...and she wil only get hay and more hay and pellets.....nothing she hasnt been having.....her tummy is so sensitive.

noticed tonite that she has been barbering herself again..one side kinda under her chin on her shoulder is bare..again.

mums obviously got stressed over this swine flu thingy and was moaning non stop to people down the phone about it...she engages my lying half sisters and my youngest daughter in their fantastic lies and arguments....and hey presto.

also it appears the kids went and played with all of hunnybunns stuff.....now bertie doesnt mind them touching his slinky or jingle ball..but thats it! sad that little one wont be seeing her berr anymore cos of the row keeping us apart.

but hunnybunny is so freaked out by it all.

i have yelled at my mum almsot to tears..i told her to remember how oscar and bif got sick from stress the year my dad died cos of mum being here for at least 6hrs a day maybe more bringing up the whole mess...and the stress gave them both stasis but bif survived..he didnt.

i yelled at her does she want to lose her bunny from stress related gut probs.

i know my mums 79 but shed been following my insructions on feeding hunnybunny....till someone piped up she needs grass everyday..not when even a few blades bloat her out.

well this buns having a whale of a time with the cats...shes pooping but not loads but has been eating hay.....she has a sore on ehr lip..maybe from forcefeeds.
ellen said it was only a little sore but may affect syringe feeding..so im not doing it unless i have to.

shes has had a dose of panacur and one dose of fibeplex.....

shes discovered bean bags are the comfiest thing ever...shes nicked the cats old one:lol:

Back