• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fern

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
On Tuesday we had to let our big girl Fern go to the bridge. At the age of 7, old age finally caught up with her. Her problems meant she was really struggling and we felt it was kinder to let her go :(

Fern came to us at the age of 4 months. She was given to us by a breeder who no longer wanted her as she was unsellable, due to her age, size and colour :( I don't know what she had been living in but we had to teach her how to stand on her back legs as she didn't know how to.

We named her Fern as we thought she looked like Fern Britton:lol: She initially lived with Archie and Flint, but we lost Archie suddenly at 18 months. This made Flint and Fern so much closer and they became inseperable. Everywhere Fern went, Flint followed :love:

One thing I shall always remember is how Fern would always be the first for any treats. Flint would always be up at the mesh first, but Fern would bound along and push her head up between his front feet and knock him over backwards to get in first :lol:

They spent many happy years together until Flint passed away this summer. We tried to bond her with other bunnies but she became a grumpy madam and wanted to stay on her own. Being a Frenchie we were amazed at how old and healthy she was, even so we were concerned about he facing the cold winter alone. In the last couple of months we knew that something was wrong, but tests didn't reveal anything. On Sunday she started to deteriorate but was still enjoying her food and fairly lively for a big old bun. She was already booked in for a dental Tuesday, but we knew this wasn't the problem and X-rays revealed heart failure and nerve damage. She didn't wake up from the anaesthetic.

We miss our Fern terribly, after caring for her everyday for 7 years she has left a large empty space in our lives. :( But at least we know she had a long happy life and will never have to face the cold winter nights alone. She is reunited with her beloved Flint and is enjoying the eternal warmth of the sun at Rainbow Bridge.

Binky free old girl, we miss you so much, but know you are in a happy place cuddled up to your husbun Flint again xxxxx

The only piccy I have of Flint Archie and Fern together, although she is hard to spot. None of her baby pictures are on the computer

archieinrun.jpg

fernweb.jpg

HPIM1303.jpg

HPIM1443.jpg

HPIM1447.jpg

Her all time favorite place
HPIM0264.jpg

HPIM2270.jpg

HPIM1928.jpg

HPIM1927.jpg

HPIM1925.jpg

Goodbye Fern, sleep well. x

I'm so sorry for your loss, it must feel very strange without big beautiful Fern around. :cry:

Thank you, the place just isn't the same with out her plodding about :( I didn't realise how much we would miss our big girl :(

I am so sorry you lost Fern. We lost Cassie cat on Friday after her prolonged illness. She was very brave and the end was peaceful at the vets. Her last night was spent cuddled up in bed with us (under the duvet) and she had some nice breakfast. Take care. Jane xx

Back