• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not Great News About Rosie - U/D She's Gone

Rosie Rabbit

Mama Doe
In the 5 weeks or so since Rosie saw Emma Keeble at the Small Animal Hospital in Edinburgh, her lung problems unfortunately haven't improved at all. Her eye problems have got worse as well. She has variously been on Septrin, Flagyl, Metacam, Zantac, Bisolvon powder, Maxitrol eye drops, and more recently, Baytril. We have been nebulising her with F10 and Baytril, and she has been on a Ventolin inhaler recently too. :( In addition, she developed an alarming lump on one of her eyeballs a week ago, due possibly to changing the Maxitrol eye drops (which are steroidal) to non-steroidal ones. Emma wanted to do this as she suspected the steriods may have been affecting her ability to fight any lung infection. Apparently topical steroids in the eye are easily absorbed systemically in rabbits. After seeing Rosie's ophthalmic vet last Friday and speaking to the vets in Edinburgh, we agreed to put her back on the Maxitrol to keep her eye comfortable.

She was supposed to be going in overnight again yesterday for more X-rays and tests on her lungs, but we all agreed that she wasn't really well enough for that. As a compromise, she had a conscious scan done on her chest. Unfortunately, her lungs seem to have got worse in the 5 weeks since she was X-rayed, and one of her lungs is virtually collapsed. Emma said her chest was very solid and there's not much room in there. There is also a bit of fluid on the lung which shouldn't be there. Her breathing is very laboured when she's at rest, although you don't hear it as much when she's moving about. They still can't say conclusively whether it is a tumour or bronchopneumonia.

Her eye problems are serious too - she has been blind with cataracts for some time, and has managed well with that, but since the summer she has had uveitis in her right eye and this large inflamed lump which appeared last week. Her incisor roots are overgrown too, blocking her nasolacrimal ducts, and this is what has been causing the excessive wetness on her cheeks.

So, with very heavy hearts, we have decided that she probably doesn't have long left. I don't know quite how long (it's so hard trying to weigh everything up :cry: ) but she has 3 separate serious problems that, in conjunction, are proving very difficult to treat. If she had just one of them, we could, for example, remove her eye, or her incisors, but everything is compromised by the very poor state of her lungs.

We really feel that we don't want to put her through much more. :cry: The last 4 months have been pretty intensive, and while the drugs are keeping everything under control at the moment, and we could wait until she was really suffering and have her put to sleep then, we don't feel that's in anyone's best interest, least of all Rosie's. We're going to reconsider after the weekend and maybe have to make a very hard decision. :cry:

I always remember something I read on a forum - your bunny doesn't really care whether it lives for 5 years or 10, what is important to it is its quality of life when it is alive. And I think that's very true.

Thanks for reading, just wanted to keep you up-to-date.

Last edited:
I am sorry that its not good news :cry:
You are absolutely right in saying that for a Bun QUALITY of life means so much more than quantity.
I am sure you will do the right thing for Rosie, however hard it will be for you :cry:

Is she also having a diuretic to help shift the fluid in her chest ? It would help her feel more comfy as her lungs would have a bit more room to expand.

Please give Rosie a noserub from me

xx

Thank you. :)

Jane - Emma didn't mention a diruretic. :? I don't think there's much extra fluid, just maybe a little bit more than there should be. :? I will keep it in mind, thank you. :)

Thank you. :)

Jane - Emma didn't mention a diruretic. :? I don't think there's much extra fluid, just maybe a little bit more than there should be. :? I will keep it in mind, thank you. :)

Well I am sure that if Emma thought a diuretic would help she'd have prescribed it. I am just going on what we did for my Sarah who had a terminal lung condition.

This is always the hardest part of being a Bunny Mummy :cry:

Well I am sure that if Emma thought a diuretic would help she'd have prescribed it. I am just going on what we did for my Sarah who had a terminal lung condition.

This is always the hardest part of being a Bunny Mummy :cry:

Yes, thanks for your input though, always appreciated.

I don't know how you cope with all the losses you have, it's just the worst feeling :cry: x

I'm so sorry you didn't get better news. Your post has made me cry because I know how upset you must be. :cry::oops:

You know I also know how hard it is to make that awful decision. Both times I had to make it I kept changing my mind every half hour or so. :roll: So I won't pretend that it will be easy for you, or even that you will definitely be 100% sure (although obviously I really hope you will be), but I am absolutely sure that you will make the right decision at the right time.

Thinking of you all. x

:cry: i dont come here as much as i used to...and then i log in to read this...oh its broken my heart:cry:

i really dont know how youre coping:cry:
ive always had a soft spot for rosie as i have said to you many times she reminds me of bif.

im so sorry...sadly its a descision you will have to make....and its heartbreaking to even think about it.
All i can do is send nosey rubs and hugs to rosie..and loads and loads of hugs for you hun. The stress of this will make youre illness worse so be careful to keep yourself as calm as poss.

the thing is..she wont be alone..so many buns gone...and there are 3 of mine from the last year and a bit alone waiting for her.
you may not even get a chance to decide..they often go down really quick when you have no other choice to make:cry:

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))

Thank you all. We have both been in floods of tears all day and feel very flat. :cry:

Sarah - what we are going through has reminded me so much of the decisions you had to make about Dusty and Clover and how hard you found it. :(

The more I observe Rosie though today, the more sure I am that we have to help her on her way. She has definitely deteriorated and we are hoping we'll know for sure by the end of the weekend.

Oh Helen, thats made me cry too :cry:

Rosie's my favourite on here.

I'm sorry its not better news for her :(

:cry: its close then..im so sorry....its made me tear up yet again.....

if anything its a release for her...and no suffering for her..heartbreak for you..but in the end you know whats right for her and you...and altho soul destroying...you will be able to know shes at peace at last...and you can grieve and try to rebuild from there.

thanks hun.....its been an odd year....and i will never ever forget the xperience of little capser..the mutilated bun with a death sentence over his head....he got worse and worse and then gave up..within 24hrs he was pts and we were back at home cleaning out his cage and crying like crazy..wed only had him a few months!
the harder you fight they more they fight....and then when they can no longer fight...you have to then fight the ache in your heart.

i am thinking of you tonight as i close this down. xx

Thank you everyone for posting.

And Debs, thanks for your lovely words and kind thoughts. I'm sorry, I didn't know about Casper, how awful for you. :cry: xxx

It's been a difficult weekend, but we have come to a decision and are going to take Rosie to be put to sleep tomorrow. :cry: :cry: :cry:

If we have wavered at times, we've only had to see her and spend time with her to know that we are doing the best thing for her at the right time. Although she is not suffering too much yet (due no doubt to all the meds she's on), she is clearly uncomfortable and is really in a very poor state physically. :( We just know deep down that it's her time.

Please spare a wee thought for Rosie tomorrow.

:cry: hope she passes peacefully,all these old buns soo sad to lose and say goodbye
but i hope you will feel alittle better after knowing that it is for the best and you get a chance to say goodbye

Back