• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is it always the little things that remind you?

sugarnspice

Young Bun
I ummed and Ahhhed about whether to post this in here, or in general bunny chat. I chose here because... well I'm not sure really. I guess I hope that if someone comes to post in here about losing their beloved bunny- they may stumble across this post and see that, in time, it gets easier.

It was 4 months ago yesterday Scampi crossed the bridge. At the beginning of October it was my mum's birthday (the same day that Scampi broke his leg as well), we have this tradition where the animals all 'sign the card from themselves'. It was just as I was listing the animals in my head that I realised it was the first one I had done where Scampi wasn't on it. Not a day goes by that I don't remember him, but that really brought it home yet again that my little friend is no longer around.
Another one was when recalling a childhood memory to my O/H, Scampi so happened to be in it and it made me realise just how much of a part of my life he was... He was a house bunny. He saw me go from a girl to a young woman (Bought him when I was 8, he was put to sleep when I was/am eighteen).

I am usually a very rational person, I'm not religious (not that I am saying religion is irrational) and I try to explain any paranormal experiences etc. But when Scampi passed, that went out the window- especially after I had a dream about him. It was the night he passed away and it was so, so vivid.
He was lying in his cage, exactly the same position as when I last saw him on the vets table. I bent down to pick him up and slowly but surely he came round and started to lick my cheeks where tears had fallen. I woke up suddenly and obviously in floods of tears. I can't help but try and rationalise this to myself.... but somewhere I can't help but not believe the rationalisations. I was blaming myself for the whole evening as I gave the final nod to have him PTS (literally- I just couldn't bring myself to actually answer yes). I so desperatly want to belive he 'visited me in a dream' to tell me it was alright, it wasn't my fault and not to be upset.

I also started having thoughts of 'What if he's alone/lonely/frightened/unsure'... thoughts which are usually really not me!
I read a quote the other day... I'm not sure which adjective to use to that... 'Lovely quote' doesn't seem quite right. But here it is:

"When you die, a piece of me will die with you. You will never be alone because wherever your soul may go. That piece of me will follow"

Sometimes when I'm stood watching a sunset, or looking at a lovely view. Or even just looking out to sea when the sky is blue. It sounds crazy but out of no-where he'll pop into my head and it's almost like he's there, you know?
So you see, whilst I miss physically having him here with me. It's almost like I can't miss him.
It was commented by a few people that he obviously loved me... So I don't know- maybe in a beautifully irrational way, when a piece of me went with him, maybe a piece of him stayed with me.

"Even if you cannot hear my voice, I'll be right beside you dear" :)

That was a lovely post and had me fighting back the tears.

I lost my Jake last Monday and I really hope a piece of him stayed with me - a piece of me definitely went with him! I can't help looking for him in the garden and the instant I remember he isn't there I get choked up. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to smile instead.

You were so lucky to have Scampi for so long. I'm sure he will be with you forever.

What a lovely post for your special little fella :) He sounds like he was most wonderful bunny & friend :love: He obviously had a very special life with you - thank you for sharing this with us xx

That made me cry too.

I know what you mean its 6 years ago today that my horse was helped to the bridge. He'd been poorly for a while but at the start of that week I knew that if he were to be going soon it would be on the 5th November - a date easily remembered, his field mates owner said she'd had a bad feeling about that week and that Wednesday 5th had stuck out for her. We had been together for 20 years, since I was 17, he'd been with me for my wedding and the arrival of my first 2 children, he was brought their special christmas and birthday presents to see, my son insisted on taking his school uniform for William to see when he got it to start school and he saw the dawn of the new millenium. He'll always be in my heart and I hope he feels a part of me walk beside him too, just like you I had a vivid dream after his passing. He'll pop in to my mind on a beautiful beach, as a gentle summer breeze brushes past me or as the clouds part to reveal a little patch of blue. I know one day we will be together again.

Thanks for this post, I did try to keep up with Rainbow Bridge postings but found I was crying everytime I came on :cry:. I'm so sorry you lost Scampi and I understand the should I shouldn't I dilemma. I was going to post earlier this week on Rainbow Bridge as it was a year on Tuesday this week since I had to make the decision to help Parsley (the cheeky bun in my avatar) to the bridge, she was only 2 and had bitten and scratched her way into my heart :love: I was still totally overwhelmed by the loss of her and a year on I say goodnight to her every night and best of all in looking for answers I discovered the wonderful people on this forum, have donated as much as has been possible to help those who help the buns out there needing it :) I totally agree with you that there is a piece of us they take with them when they go and the piece of themselves they leave behind. I feel blessed to have had Parsley in my life, even for a short time. :)

Oh, this has had me in tears too. I agree with it totally. My bridge bunny Bobby was such a huge part of our lives and we were devastated when he had to be PTS. We used to sing to him and put his name in instead of the song lyrics, I was singing to my new buns yesterday and still sang Bob instead of Ted. Even though we love our Little Ted and Rosie to bits, we still miss Boo so much.

Our beautiful boy :love:
bobonpathvsmall.jpg

My gorgeous bunny Mali died in my arms on monday morning after 7 and half brilliant years together. I'm thankful i was with him at the end but everywhere i look reminds me of him. I even named him after my favorite drink Malibu...little did i know that now that he is no longer with me, i will think of him everytime i drink it.

Thank you for sharing your story with us

Back