• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur loss and dark spots of skin/fur?

Hello,

I was hoping for some advice about my male bunny Bibingka. He's had a bit of fur loss along the back of his neck, just to the right of the midline of his back. The skin is pinkish and smooth, and doesn't seem flaky or dandruff-y at all. There is also a small patch of darker skin close to the bald spot. The darker spot has short, coarse, normally-pigmented hairs growing on top of it. Bibingka doesn't seem to be bothered by the spots; he doesn't scratch at them, and he doesn't make a fuss if I try to examine the area.

Does this sound like regular molting? The weather has very suddenly turned rather chilly.

Also, I have another male bunny in the house, Yeti, who has recently been neutered. He's fond of grooming Bibingka, and has been known to mount. Does the fur loss and spotting seem to be related to this, or might it be something more serious?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3639.jpg

It's possibly caused by Yeti latching on to his neck when he mounts him
The photo is too small for me to say for certain though

I just came on to this forum to post the exact same question about my house rabbit Martha! she is a Lion head cross and has a bald patch on the back of her neck amongst her "mane" and then behind that this weird patch (pictured below) of very short hair. Again she doesn't seem bothered by it.

DSC00149.jpg

She had a severe EC attack in August followed by 3 steroid injections and a course of metacam...my only thoughts are that it is a reaction to the stress of illness / medication?? as she doesn't seem to be itching at all! any other opinions gratefully received though!

Probably a local reaction to an injection/injections. The skin inflammation has resolved and she now has new fur regrowth :)

Thanks so much for the replies! Hopefully Yeti will settle down now that he's been fixed. Poor Binks :(

Sorry about the size of the pic, too. It looked huge when I previewed it, so I tried everything I could to shrink it down. I guess it worked a bit too well. :lol:

Can anyone please give me an update on these dark blotches? Are they harmless?

My rabbit has them. I got my bunny from a rescue about two months ago. He's a lionhead and all the fur in the mane behind his ears was matted, so about a month ago I managed to snip it away - I had to cut it short, but I didn't cut right up against his skin and I didn't nick him with the scissors at all. I was sure a few weeks afterwards that he had a bald spot, to one side of his 'parting' of his fur on his neck, but assumed it had simply previously been hidden by his mane. Then last week I noticed a few small dark patches on his skin near the bald patch - I pointed them out to my mother who also suggested it was fur regrowth, even though I didn't cut the fur there. Tonight I noticed another on his head and one further back on his back. He seems fine in himself and doesn't seem aware of the dark patches.

What happened to the other rabbits mentioned on this thread? Are they OK? Do they still have the patches or did the patches disappear? I'm going to make a vet appointment on Monday, but in the meantime would be very grateful for any advice or information.

Thank you.

with mine it was nothing to worry about, We didnt go to a vets, to be honest I'd doubt they'd know what the problem was...our bun that had it wasn't affected and the patch has gone now. Incidentally, our bun was a lionhead too, maybe its something that effects them. I wouldnt worry too much xx

with mine it was nothing to worry about, We didnt go to a vets, to be honest I'd doubt they'd know what the problem was...our bun that had it wasn't affected and the patch has gone now. Incidentally, our bun was a lionhead too, maybe its something that effects them. I wouldnt worry too much xx

Thank you so much for replying! And I'm so pleased your bun is still OK; not just because it's a relief for me but also because I don't like to think of any little bunny being ill.

I never noticed it with my previous lionhead, but her fur was all white, whereas this one is brownish. It's just so startling because the dark patches are so much darker than his fur. His appetite is unchanged and he is his usual grumpy self, so apart from the brown patches everything is just the same as normal!

Thanks again.

my rabbit is half dutch and half british cross, and she has the exact same problem i do have another lion head british cross rabbit and i have once seen her take fur from the dutch and eat it. the dutch also has no hair on its forehead as well as on its collar bone.

Dark Spots on Rabbit's Skin

Hi All,
I realize this is an old post, but I didn't see any firm medical answer here (unless I missed it somehow). I have the same question about my Netherland Dwarf, so I guess it's not just an issue with the Lion Heads. It's very dark short hair growing in, (surrounding hair is downey & grey at the skin level). Apparently the area HAS been bothering my bunny since he's been nibbling at it, and caused a tiny scab next to it -- though I can't say which came first, the nibbling, or the spot. I'll be taking mine to the vet tomorrow and will post an update with what they tell me.

My bunny has this now

Hi All,
I realize this is an old post, but I didn't see any firm medical answer here (unless I missed it somehow). I have the same question about my Netherland Dwarf, so I guess it's not just an issue with the Lion Heads. It's very dark short hair growing in, (surrounding hair is downey & grey at the skin level). Apparently the area HAS been bothering my bunny since he's been nibbling at it, and caused a tiny scab next to it -- though I can't say which came first, the nibbling, or the spot. I'll be taking mine to the vet tomorrow and will post an update with what they tell me.

Hiii my bunny is having the same spot. A week ago it was only a bald spot as she is loosing a lot of hair but the skin was pink and it is now very very black. Did you take your bun to the vet?

Hiii my bunny is having the same spot. A week ago it was only a bald spot as she is loosing a lot of hair but the skin was pink and it is now very very black. Did you take your bun to the vet?

Hi, this is a very old post so you may not get a reply from original posters. I would always advise taking your rabbit to the vet. If you can start a new thread with photos people can try to advise further:thumb:

Back