• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog crate set up

Chik

New Kit
Im toying with the idea of gettig munchie a dog cage and putting a second shelf in it so he has a proper house, can anyone recommend a good sized crate and where to get one from at a decent price. Should I be concerned zinc coated crates or anything else they may be coated with? Thanks

If anyone on here has put a shelf in a dog crate i would really love to see a pic of your set up to help with ideas.

Hi, this was when we first put a shelf in ours. Changed slightly now as Coco didn't use the ramp - just jumps. We removed the box as he has a liking for cardboard and now he's bonded with Angel we have to use newspaper instead of carpet as she insist on using the cage instead of the litter tray! :roll:

To be honest the shelf is hardly used, they just jum up to see if there's any food at breakfast time and have free range in the rest of the room.

This is an extra large one, and we got a large one too - both from ebay shops - try searching Excell pet products.

PC210139.jpg

I am currently changing to a dog crate set up for Cassie and Oakley. I got mine from ebay, where there are lots of dog crates and the prices seem good.

In the rabbit care section of this forum, there are instructions on how to put a shelf in a dog crate. I am rubbish at DIY but found the instructions are easy to follow.

Sorry I cant put any pictures of mine on as haven't finished putting the ramp up yet but best of luck.

Hi, this was when we first put a shelf in ours. Changed slightly now as Coco didn't use the ramp - just jumps. We removed the box as he has a liking for cardboard and now he's bonded with Angel we have to use newspaper instead of carpet as she insist on using the cage instead of the litter tray! :roll:

To be honest the shelf is hardly used, they just jum up to see if there's any food at breakfast time and have free range in the rest of the room.

This is an extra large one, and we got a large one too - both from ebay shops - try searching Excell pet products.

PC210139.jpg

what lucky bunnies!

PC210139.jpg

Ours never used their shelf until we made a ramp for them, then they went up their a lot. I also put an old pillow up there wrapped in a towel and it's such a cosy part that whenever I check on them in the night they are all up there snuggled together.

(Oh I'm a doofus, I've just noticed that there IS a ramp :oops: )

Last edited:
Ours never used their shelf until we made a ramp for them, then they went up their a lot. I also put an old pillow up there wrapped in a towel and it's such a cosy part that whenever I check on them in the night they are all up there snuggled together.

(Oh I'm a doofus, I've just noticed that there IS a ramp :oops: )

Heee, yes there was a ramp, we thought maybe the step bits weren't grippy enough so added thicker ones but they still never used it so we've removed it and leave them to jump.

I tried putting some nice bedding/material up there too but Angel loves to wee on anything soft (luckily think she's learnt not the sofa but anything in their room is fair game).

PS - thanks w1lll - they're not spoilt, honestly! :oops:

My buns are outdoors so no advice on a shelf I'm afraid, but I do have some 48" crates incase of emergancies. Its a good size and were a pretty reasonable price off ebay.

PC210139.jpg

I love your wallpaper :love::love: sorry for off-topic!..:oops:

I love your wallpaper :love::love: sorry for off-topic!..:oops:

Thank you! Coco loves it so much he stripped it all off first time round so my mum re-papered. I have a spare roll now to patch bits up but B&Q have stopped selling it, so hoping he doesn't go on the rampage again! :lol:

PC210139.jpg

I was planning to do this sort of set up when i get my first house bun in a couple of months is it easy to set up the level i've see the post bout putting a level in but im not gd at DIY :oops:.

I was planning to do this sort of set up when i get my first house bun in a couple of months is it easy to set up the level i've see the post bout putting a level in but im not gd at DIY :oops:.

I'm no good either I'm afraid, my OH did it! I think B&Q or joinery places will cut the shelf to size for you, and if you look on the pic he just put notches on the bottom edges of the batons for them to slot onto the cage (we wanted it to be fairly easy to take down for when they go on their hols!). Good luck :)

I have a 36" dog crate that was about £24 from ebay. I made a shelf really simply. I just used an old shelf from a cupboard or something. You know the type that are just chipboard with plastic coating. I bought a piece of wood from the hardware shop that was about 2 inches thick and about 7 foot long which cost less than £4. I cut the wood in half and ran it through the bars like this:
Shelf.jpg
Then I just sat the shelf on top and glued it on with liquid nails (don't use this if your rabbits will chew). I cut little grooves in the wooden supports so they wouldn't slide about, but with the shelf on it wasn't really necessary. And I cut up an old pair of jogging bottoms and used them as a lining for the shelf. Grimlock never uses it though. :lol:

Shelf ideas

Hi! I need to add a shelf to my DIY wire grid rabbit cage... not sure how to do it though do you have any ideas? Please help!!! Ty

Hi! I need to add a shelf to my DIY wire grid rabbit cage... not sure how to do it though do you have any ideas? Please help!!! Ty
This is a very old thread, I don't think you'll get an answer here.

Probably best to start a new thread explaining what you want to do in the housing section and people will be able to help :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Back