• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can my rabbits eat ivy?

lunarmoon92

Young Bun
I've been letting my rabbits out to wander around our patio and it has some ivy growing on it. I've moved them away from it when they've gone for a nibble but are they ok to eat it?

Thanks

Thats a very big no. Ivy is poisonous/toxic. Rabbits won't know this as they don't differentiate so I'd either clear it away or keep bunnies away or you have a very poorly bun.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, but Ivy is only toxic when in berry and flower, the odd leaf by mistake should cause no harm, both my buns have knicked the odd leaf from the wall and are still with us. I read this in a rabbit food book written by a vet - so let's hope it's correct! I would not feed it or allow regular access to it though.

I looked in the other part of the forum on the list of good foods and it said poison ivy was toxic. This ivy has a yellow sort of rim and a green inside. I might just try and keep them away from it. To be fair Tallualah only tried it once then saw a dandelion that she found far more interesting!

Last edited:
Thats a very big no. Ivy is poisonous/toxic. Rabbits won't know this as they don't differentiate so I'd either clear it away or keep bunnies away or you have a very poorly bun.

I had a bun as a child that free ranged on our garden and we had loads of Ivy. I dont think he ever ate it.

Back