• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grape vine leaves/grapes

Murphy30

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:

We have a large grape vine growing over the pergola in our back garden, which currently has several bunches of grapes on it. It's fenced off at the moment so the buns can't get to it, but is it safe for them to eat the leaves/branches and the grapes (In small quantities obviously!)

I'll still keep it fenced off, but I was just wondering if it was safe for them to eat as a treat every now and then?

Another technician at our school has a grape vine and he sometimes cuts back the leaves and brings them in for my bunnies. They seem to like them and they've not had any problems with them. Didn't have any of the branches though so I'm not sure about them.

dont know about the vines but I occassionally give my boys some seedless grapes (incase seeds cause gut blockage) - I have to cut them in half tho so they smell the juice otherwise I dont think they know what they are haha
xxx

Well, I've never seen any information on it, but I'd hazard a guess at it being ok. My tortoises eat them (the leaves) often, and they are an 'allowed food' for torties; usually the tortoise and bunny allowed foods tally so - hence me thinking they are ok for buns.

Hhmm, my grape vine didn't last long! :roll:

Humans can eat vine leaves and I have never read anything that suggest rabbits shouldn't.
Vine prunings can even be used to make wine btw...:)

I've never given grape viness but all 4 of mine love grapes. My children had some in the garden and shared them with the buns. The buns were in heaven! It was lovely to watch them all washing their sticky faces after too.:love:

They only ever have 2 each and I always cut them in half.

mine will eat grape leaves (though not grapes). I would avoid giving in huge quantities just because its something they are not used to.

Back