Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Grape vine leaves/grapes

  1. #1
    Warren Scout Murphy30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    268

    Default Grape vine leaves/grapes

    Hi

    We have a large grape vine growing over the pergola in our back garden, which currently has several bunches of grapes on it. It's fenced off at the moment so the buns can't get to it, but is it safe for them to eat the leaves/branches and the grapes (In small quantities obviously!)

    I'll still keep it fenced off, but I was just wondering if it was safe for them to eat as a treat every now and then?

  2. #2
    Warren Scout Murphy30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Anyone?

  3. #3
    Alpha Buck Joh619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Another technician at our school has a grape vine and he sometimes cuts back the leaves and brings them in for my bunnies. They seem to like them and they've not had any problems with them. Didn't have any of the branches though so I'm not sure about them.

  4. #4
    Mama Doe lucyj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    dont know about the vines but I occassionally give my boys some seedless grapes (incase seeds cause gut blockage) - I have to cut them in half tho so they smell the juice otherwise I dont think they know what they are haha
    xxx


    I've been boo'd, 2 times!

  5. #5
    Mama Doe Charys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    3,052

    Default

    Well, I've never seen any information on it, but I'd hazard a guess at it being ok. My tortoises eat them (the leaves) often, and they are an 'allowed food' for torties; usually the tortoise and bunny allowed foods tally so - hence me thinking they are ok for buns.

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran lilbun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Planet Zuberon
    Posts
    5,727

    Default

    Hhmm, my grape vine didn't last long!

    Humans can eat vine leaves and I have never read anything that suggest rabbits shouldn't.
    Vine prunings can even be used to make wine btw...

  7. #7
    Mama Doe BeatrixPotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    I've never given grape viness but all 4 of mine love grapes. My children had some in the garden and shared them with the buns. The buns were in heaven! It was lovely to watch them all washing their sticky faces after too.

    They only ever have 2 each and I always cut them in half.
    Bunny Mummy to the gorgeous Molly

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper parsnipbun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    10,430

    Default

    mine will eat grape leaves (though not grapes). I would avoid giving in huge quantities just because its something they are not used to.
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •