• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Earless rabbits

Should Earless rabbits be culled at birth?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 70 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agee with jackie here that it is the mum who has done the damage that should be retired from breeding as that is where the problem lies, not with the babies who's ears are missing.

The Doe is stressed hence the canabalism
The Doe should be retired from breeding and the Kits found Pet homes

I could say soooooooooooooooooo much more but I dont feel like being Infracted today :)

firght i wasnt going to post this morning but i really feel i have to on this...

every and any rabbit with a deformity provided it can still live a good happy quality of life should be homed in a pet home (preferebly neutered first) no breeder should cull them jsut ensure they are not bred from in future

secondly in this instance it is the mother who is at fault and therefore the mother should be neutered retired fro mbreeding and allowed to live a happy pet life.

3rdly how can anyone condone culling an animal because it nacks up the breed?! surely yo uaccept mistakes happen and rehome as a pet but dont continue with that blood line?!

am outraged people do this. x

I had an earless bun due to overgrooming. Can't see why they should be culled! But I feel that the doe should not be bred from again as this trait could be passed on... ;)

Vera

It's a no here as well.

We've had a few ear less bunnies come through here or on occasion 1 eared rabbits.

The first 1 was here for a while even though he always got people saying how sweet he was, but all the others have gone out very quickly.I do feel that the people taking them on do it to start of with because they feel sorry for them but then fall in love with them for there personality.

Bobtails recently had a group of bunnies in, who had parts of their ears missing, and they all were reserved very quickly. Nothing wrong with earless bunnies, they just look like big guinea pigs. :)

Meet Rosie a gorgeous little earless tri coloured Dutch whose ears were chewed off at birth. She has been coming here on her holidays now for over 2 years and is gorgeous, she is no different to any other rabbit apart from her ears and this doesn't seem to impede her in any way so my answer is a definite NO. She also came from a rescue(where she was born) and her owner picked her because she was different to all the other buns.
HHRosienoears-1.jpg

Shes BEAUTIFUL :love::love::love::love:

I dont think buns should be killed because they've had their ears nibbled... I know when my bun had an accidental litter about 6 years ago no, one of the babies had a ear that was ripped a bit because mummies nails caught it when they were very small.... and he was one of the first to be re homed..... the man called him shredder!! (suited him well actually because he used to rip up newspaper for amusement)

Its like Rimmi - he was bred for the intention of breeding (not by me) but when the lady recieved him, he wasnt perfect and he was going to be 'got rid of' (he has some slight white ticking... no good for showing.... and white bits on the tips of his ears) which is why I went and bought him off her. Hes such a lovely character of a bun....I cant imagine what they were going to do with him.

I would be proud to own a bun with no ears. I wouldnt go out just to find one but if I saw one needing a home and I had room then I would.

Uh.... got to go..... Rimmi is breaking into the food tub!

the argument being put forward is that it will weaken the breed, but a bun that has lost its ears due to over grooming is not a weak bun, it is not a genetic fault and could quite easily be found a home.

Surely no one is stupid enough not to understand the counterargument! It makes me really really mad when people are so ignorant :evil::evil::evil::censored:

Of course the answer is no!! I agree with everyone about mum being retired from breeding. Like most people have said, if I was looking for a bunny and an earless bunny that was suitable came up there would be no hesitation. It's a life at the end of the day regardless of looks and if the animal can live a happy, helthy life why deny it the chance.

I actually feel sadened that people can think like this (I know it doesn't apply on here). The earless ness will not effect the blood lines but mum should not be bred again as she may do it to another litter.

Definitely not but I do think that rabbits (or any animal for that matter) that has genes which predispose them so some sort of infavourabale behaviour, illness or birth defect should be neutered and not bred from including the mother that has done the ear damage.

The person who thought that a rabbit with no ears should be simply 'culled' is a mindless moron who obviously has no compassion for rabbits and therefore should NOT be breeding... well that is a different argument all together :lol:

The person who thought that a rabbit with no ears should be simply 'culled' is a mindless moron who obviously has no compassion for rabbits and therefore should NOT be breeding... well that is a different argument all together :lol:

Makes perfect sense to me. Can we add a few more to the list of reasons people shouldn't be allowed to breed? :lol:

Seriously though I am all for responsible breeders breeding to eliminate behavour traits or health issues but realy can't see the point in culling. Possibly compulsory neutering but that's a good idea anyway.

earless rabbits

I have several bunnies who only have one ear:cry:they came from breeders who were going to "cull" them as they were "of no use" as they couldn't be sold:cry::evil:
Apart from having to make sure that the missing ear has to be kept clean they are no different to normal buns:)
WHY on earth should they have been killed:?
So it,s a NO from me too!
I also think that they are more likely to be offered homes in a rescue situation as they will appeal to real bunny lovers :love:

I have several bunnies who only have one ear:cry:they came from breeders who were going to "cull" them as they were "of no use" as they couldn't be sold:cry::evil:
Apart from having to make sure that the missing ear has to be kept clean they are no different to normal buns:)
WHY on earth should they have been killed:?
So it,s a NO from me too!
I also think that they are more likely to be offered homes in a rescue situation as they will appeal to real bunny lovers :love:

How can you keep it clean if it's missing? :lol: Sorry :oops::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back