View Poll Results: Should Earless rabbits be culled at birth?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

70 100.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Earless rabbits

I agee with jackie here that it is the mum who has done the damage that should be retired from breeding as that is where the problem lies, not with the babies who's ears are missing.

The Doe is stressed hence the canabalism
    The Doe should be retired from breeding and the Kits found Pet homes

I could say soooooooooooooooooo much more but I dont feel like being Infracted today

Lop Rabbit Owners- I Need Your Help Please...........

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16#post6379116

Warren Veteran

firght i wasnt going to post this morning but i really feel i have to on this...

every and any rabbit with a deformity provided it can still live a good happy quality of life should be homed in a pet home (preferebly neutered first) no breeder should cull them jsut ensure they are not bred from in future

secondly in this instance it is the mother who is at fault and therefore the mother should be neutered retired fro mbreeding and allowed to live a happy pet life.

3rdly how can anyone condone culling an animal because it nacks up the breed?! surely yo uaccept mistakes happen and rehome as a pet but dont continue with that blood line?!

am outraged people do this. x

I had an earless bun due to overgrooming. Can't see why they should be culled! But I feel that the doe should not be bred from again as this trait could be passed on...

Vera
    LURCHERS DESERVE BETTER - AND SO DO BUNNIES!

It's a no here as well.

We've had a few ear less bunnies come through here or on occasion 1 eared rabbits.

The first 1 was here for a while even though he always got people saying how sweet he was, but all the others have gone out very quickly.I do feel that the people taking them on do it to start of with because they feel sorry for them but then fall in love with them for there personality.
    Tracy
    Rabbit & Guinea Pig Boarding and Bonding
    http://www.rngp.org

Make 2014 in 2014 - total 113.50

Wise Old Thumper Bavarian Bunny's Avatar

Bobtails recently had a group of bunnies in, who had parts of their ears missing, and they all were reserved very quickly. Nothing wrong with earless bunnies, they just look like big guinea pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by holidayhutch View Post
    Meet Rosie a gorgeous little earless tri coloured Dutch whose ears were chewed off at birth. She has been coming here on her holidays now for over 2 years and is gorgeous, she is no different to any other rabbit apart from her ears and this doesn't seem to impede her in any way so my answer is a definite NO. She also came from a rescue(where she was born) and her owner picked her because she was different to all the other buns.
    Shes BEAUTIFUL

I dont think buns should be killed because they've had their ears nibbled... I know when my bun had an accidental litter about 6 years ago no, one of the babies had a ear that was ripped a bit because mummies nails caught it when they were very small.... and he was one of the first to be re homed..... the man called him shredder!! (suited him well actually because he used to rip up newspaper for amusement)

Its like Rimmi - he was bred for the intention of breeding (not by me) but when the lady recieved him, he wasnt perfect and he was going to be 'got rid of' (he has some slight white ticking... no good for showing.... and white bits on the tips of his ears) which is why I went and bought him off her. Hes such a lovely character of a bun....I cant imagine what they were going to do with him.

I would be proud to own a bun with no ears. I wouldnt go out just to find one but if I saw one needing a home and I had room then I would.

Uh.... got to go..... Rimmi is breaking into the food tub!

Warren Veteran

A definate no

otherwise this little girl wouldn't be here

She is looking for a home with her mum http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=192106

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post
    the argument being put forward is that it will weaken the breed, but a bun that has lost its ears due to over grooming is not a weak bun, it is not a genetic fault and could quite easily be found a home.
    Surely no one is stupid enough not to understand the counterargument! It makes me really really mad when people are so ignorant

Please check out my blog, about my soaps, bath bombs and quilt
    http://missbeaujangles.blogspot.com/