• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

runny poo outside....

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
even tho eric doesn't seem to eat huge amounts of grass when he's outside, he always seems to do a few large squishy poo's (sometimes when he first goes out there and hasn't eaten ANY grass). there are also some normal ones but not as many when he's done one of his big squishers (sorry:oops:).

he's also moulting rather a lot at the moment so some of his half eaten poops contain fur.

he's eating and drinking well and behaving as eric:roll: he doesn't seem in any discomfort at all.

i've removed the few pellets he had left this morning (he doesn't scoff them overnight - saves a few for lunchtime:?) and he always has lots of fresh hay.

any ideas as to why the soft poo's keep appearing on the grass? sometimes its like he holds onto his business til he goes outside these days - hasn't wee'd in his cage very often at all lately but as soon as he goes outside, the flood gates open.

what should i do? (vet trips stress him out big time too and he usually doesn't eat for a couple of days).

he's binkying like a nutter at the moment:love:

Does he go out on grass every day? If not do you feed him grass on the days that he doesn't go out?

Does he go out on grass every day? If not do you feed him grass on the days that he doesn't go out?

yes, he's out on grass every day (as he chooses). doesn't seem to eat much of it, just likes to scent every blade i think.

Hmmm, I was going to suggest that it could be having grass and then not which was doing it. Does it only happen outside? If so maybe you could find out if it is th egrass causing it by keeping him in for a day and making sure he doesn't do any of thise nasty poos and then the next day feed him some grass maybe in with his hay if he won't eat it on it's own and see if he does them then.

Hmmm, I was going to suggest that it could be having grass and then not which was doing it. Does it only happen outside? If so maybe you could find out if it is th egrass causing it by keeping him in for a day and making sure he doesn't do any of thise nasty poos and then the next day feed him some grass maybe in with his hay if he won't eat it on it's own and see if he does them then.

thank you. looks like i'll have to do that - poor eric! he makes me feel so guilty by looking out of the window with big sad eyes whilst i'm getting the guinea pigs out and he's inside:?

there have been the odd 1 or 2 squidgy ones inside but only after he's been outside for a while then come back in for a snack.

thank you. looks like i'll have to do that - poor eric! he makes me feel so guilty by looking out of the window with big sad eyes whilst i'm getting the guinea pigs out and he's inside:?

there have been the odd 1 or 2 squidgy ones inside but only after he's been outside for a while then come back in for a snack.

Well there's only one way of finding out if it is actually the grass that's doing it. Good luck.

Am I right that Eric is a "dental bunny"? I reckon they're uneaten caecotrophs - probably smelly, cos there is a mild overgrowth of the wrong bacteria in his caecum. [dysbiosis] He won't eat them if they don't smell right. I think this happened before, before his last dental & neutering yes?

It's the standard of no sudden changes to diet, & very important to avoid anything with sugar (even fruit) starch - eg red part of carrot - or honey in it. You may need to reduce his veg a bit - perhaps his beans.

Although I am a minority in giving added fiber in tree & shrub leaves it has been recently recommended by Edinburgh Vet school to improve lower gut function. (see Pringle's last thread) It's not just hawthorn but bramble leaves, dog rose, sloe, & nettles (can be dethorned / sting with a rolling pin) They can be dried easily & added to hay.

A little Biolapis in his drinking water can help to restore normal bacteria in addition to increasing fiber.
Poor Eric will be on a high fiber wildie diet, + lots of herbs! but feel better, & MAY even have improved behaviour. Wonder if all that wall paper stripping was because he craved fiber?

Am I right that Eric is a "dental bunny"? I reckon they're uneaten caecotrophs - probably smelly, cos there is a mild overgrowth of the wrong bacteria in his caecum. [dysbiosis] He won't eat them if they don't smell right. I think this happened before, before his last dental & neutering yes?

It's the standard of no sudden changes to diet, & very important to avoid anything with sugar (even fruit) starch - eg red part of carrot - or honey in it. You may need to reduce his veg a bit - perhaps his beans.

Although I am a minority in giving added fiber in tree & shrub leaves it has been recently recommended by Edinburgh Vet school to improve lower gut function. (see Pringle's last thread) It's not just hawthorn but bramble leaves, dog rose, sloe, & nettles (can be dethorned / sting with a rolling pin) They can be dried easily & added to hay.

A little Biolapis in his drinking water can help to restore normal bacteria in addition to increasing fiber.
Poor Eric will be on a high fiber wildie diet, + lots of herbs! but feel better, & MAY even have improved behaviour. Wonder if all that wall paper stripping was because he craved fiber?

thank you judy. yes, i have mentioned this problem with eric before (sorry, forgot:oops:) but they really don't look like caecotrophs and they only seem to occur whilst outside. i already give him the herbs and he doesn't like carrots, nor does he have any sugary treats. i do give him jerusalem artichoke and coneflower from the naturals range occasionally tho as they seem to be quite high in fibre and i'm not up to going out to try and find brambles and nettles at the moment. the wildies in our garden eat privet and plum tree leaves - its a shame i can't give either to eric. the hay he eats has dried nettle in or peppermint too.

he is due for a dental check up in 3 weeks and i'll have to be prepared to leave him in overnight - another wretched ga. what is the connection btw a dental bun and dysbiosis?

i'm thinking it must be an imbalance in his gut bacteria but i can't work out why it happens. his behaviour does seem to be calming a little tho-haven't lost a wire or wallpaper all week (just a few nibbles of the yellow pages).

no idea where i can get some bio lapis - hopefully online:?

bio lapis

this is probably a stupid question but how will i know if eric has drunk enough of his water when i put a sachet of bio lapis in it? i change his water a few times a day:?

My Henry was prescribed Bio Lapis a few days before he died, the vet said to split up one sachet and just give him a quarter of it a day. :shock: Looks like too little too late. :cry:

Oops this is getting complicated!
a) Yes Biolapis works just like yoghurt in humans - & they've been giving it to humans in the last year too. :shock: There's no "dose" it just swamps the system with healthy bacteria To stop overgrowth of bad ones.
b) Don't know about bunnies - but jerusalem artichoke has a "sugar" ?inositol which some humans can't metabolize - gives humans gut Dysbiosis - Smelly "wind". Probably the 1st. diet change to make.
c) Didn't know you've got wildies in your garden. It explains why Eric is scenting "every blade of grass"= "This is MY territory keep off". We're in a bit different ball game, best discussed with your vet. Some wildie colonies are infected with coccidiosis & other gut parasites - transmitted to other buns in poops. I've no experience of coccidiosis - but there's a forum member with a dental bun & coccidiosis from wildies.
d) Squidgy poops. I had a problem grasping this too - they're nothing like the normal caecs. As I understand it the wrong bacteria can make toxins which slow down the lower gut & caecum. This allows the wrong bacteria to multiply further.When it was very mild we had normal caecs, squidgy ones, & waste poops too. The long term solution is to speed up the lower gut naturally - this means a very high fiber diet.
e) The link between dental probs & tummy probs is 2 fold.
1 Pain & discomfort (mouth) or anywhere slows down a bunny's gut.
2 Bunny gut works on a poops out food in basis. Mouth hurts so eats a bit less - gut slows down from less intake - feel full so eat even less - gut slows down more etc. start to get dysbiosis - toxins slow down gut more. With Thumper I notice a gradual reduction in waste poops when he needs a dental - just eating slightly less.

Any stress slows a bunny's gut too. It's not the main factor with us but will tip the balance.

Sorry for a long post - hope it answers your questions.
All the best, please let us know how you're getting on. Judy & Thumper.

update on eric - been to vets

Oops this is getting complicated!
a) Yes Biolapis works just like yoghurt in humans - & they've been giving it to humans in the last year too. :shock: There's no "dose" it just swamps the system with healthy bacteria To stop overgrowth of bad ones.
b) Don't know about bunnies - but jerusalem artichoke has a "sugar" ?inositol which some humans can't metabolize - gives humans gut Dysbiosis - Smelly "wind". Probably the 1st. diet change to make.
c) Didn't know you've got wildies in your garden. It explains why Eric is scenting "every blade of grass"= "This is MY territory keep off". We're in a bit different ball game, best discussed with your vet. Some wildie colonies are infected with coccidiosis & other gut parasites - transmitted to other buns in poops. I've no experience of coccidiosis - but there's a forum member with a dental bun & coccidiosis from wildies.
d) Squidgy poops. I had a problem grasping this too - they're nothing like the normal caecs. As I understand it the wrong bacteria can make toxins which slow down the lower gut & caecum. This allows the wrong bacteria to multiply further.When it was very mild we had normal caecs, squidgy ones, & waste poops too. The long term solution is to speed up the lower gut naturally - this means a very high fiber diet.
e) The link between dental probs & tummy probs is 2 fold.
1 Pain & discomfort (mouth) or anywhere slows down a bunny's gut.
2 Bunny gut works on a poops out food in basis. Mouth hurts so eats a bit less - gut slows down from less intake - feel full so eat even less - gut slows down more etc. start to get dysbiosis - toxins slow down gut more. With Thumper I notice a gradual reduction in waste poops when he needs a dental - just eating slightly less.

Any stress slows a bunny's gut too. It's not the main factor with us but will tip the balance.

Sorry for a long post - hope it answers your questions.
All the best, please let us know how you're getting on. Judy & Thumper.

thank you judy. that was very informative.

i've been to the vets with eric tonight as for the first time ever i had to clean his bum. he was munching loads of hay but hadn't left any poops behind - odd, so i looked. they were stuck to him so i cleaned him up and went straight to the vets.

she checked him over and prescribed bio lapis as she could feel some normal poo in his guts and not an alarming amount of anything else - not even any gas.

he wasn't in any pain and she checked his teeth - fine at the mo.

i explained that he hadn't been totally normal since the castration and had episodes of squidgy poop - especially after being outside. she said the stress of the op and his dental at that time could have started the disturbance but that hopefully the bio lapis will help (she said i was doing the right things too regards his diet).

my vet knows about the wildies we have - hence my prompt earlier for his 6 monthly myxi jab but obviously, that will have to wait until he's 100% now. she didn't mention anything as sinister as coccidiosis as it does seem more like an imbalance (as you described - thank you:)) as the poop isn't watery and he does have normal ones too. if he doesn't improve with bio lapis (IF i can get him to take it in any way) i'll be taking him back on monday and will mention my further concerns.

who said having pets relieved stress eh:(

I'm so pleased it's a simple problem & you've seen your vet - got the all clear about the wildies etc.
Looking forward to hearing that Eric's back on pooping form again.
I know what you mean about poorly bunnies though - stress puts it mildly!
All the best Judy & Thumper. + nose rub to Eric from us.

I'm so pleased it's a simple problem & you've seen your vet - got the all clear about the wildies etc.
Looking forward to hearing that Eric's back on pooping form again.
I know what you mean about poorly bunnies though - stress puts it mildly!
All the best Judy & Thumper. + nose rub to Eric from us.

thank you.

i wouldn't say its the all clear about the wildies - the risk is still there unless i totally confine eric to the house. i don't think the vet suspected coccidiosis as i suppose a dirty bum is quite common and eric shows no real sign of illness - thankfully. plus, she said to eric that his mummy always thinks along the same lines she does when i mentioned pro biotocs (oops:oops: i apologised and said i like to find things out but she just said i obviously looked after eric well).

he looked rather miffed he didn't get any pellets earlier but did some lovely poops whilst munching his hay:D hay and herbs for now eric m'dear until i feel well enough to go exploring to find some woodland goodies.......

Back