• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Echinacea?

RococoRabbitz

Young Bun
I have lots of lovely purple coneflowers (echinacea) in my back garden and was wondering if all parts of the plants are edible and safe to feed to rabbits...? :?

I have lots of lovely purple coneflowers (echinacea) in my back garden and was wondering if all parts of the plants are edible and safe to feed to rabbits...? :?

One of the 'Naturals' dried herb bags has got the echinacea flower heads dried in it! I too have a coneflower plant in full bloom....and was wondering the same thing!!! :lol: I already feed the herb bag with them in....no idea though about the leaves....i'm thinking yes, but not been brave enough to try it!

Yes, same here: I'm hoping that somebunny here will be able to help us out!:D
I know the entire plant is safe for mice & rats, but I'm just not sure about bunnies...?

I wouldn't go overboard with it. In humans you are recomended to stick to no more than the recomended amount and to discontinue use after 14 days. I think it is because, like st johns wort it actually does have very powerful interactions with the body & is linked with long term usage to liver damage (?). I'm highly allergic to the stuff!

http://www.ukmi.nhs.uk/Med_info/documents/EchinaceaCMS.pdf

I think it's only the _root_ that's used for medicinal purposes...? I'd be interested in feeding leaves & flowerheads. So if anybody here feeds those to their bunnies or has fed them in the past, I'd love to hear from them, please!:wave:

I think it's only the _root_ that's used for medicinal purposes...? I'd be interested in feeding leaves & flowerheads. So if anybody here feeds those to their bunnies or has fed them in the past, I'd love to hear from them, please!:wave:

yes the root is used in human medicine because it contains the highest concentrations however the compounds are found throughout the plant but in lower amounts. I'm not saying don't, I'm just saying don't go overboard & feed it in large amounts daily. A small amount should be ok.

Thanks for your advice! I've offered some to my bunnies today, and they appear to quite like the leaves and petals. Not their favourite, though! And they ignored the stem and the rest of the flowerhead. Very particular for creatures who enjoy eating my skirting boards!:lol:

Mine get echinecea leaves from the hay experts. Not their fav but they do like them. Not sure if they can eat garden varieties though.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yes I thought so. We gave my monsters some last might to help them recover from their vaccine. Seem more themselves today. Archie has been up to mischief

So glad they have recovered! Yes they can be under the weather for a bit I've found.
Were they both equally affected by the vaccination?

So glad they have recovered! Yes they can be under the weather for a bit I've found.
Were they both equally affected by the vaccination?
Sorry diverted a little from original poster.

But yes both were really sleepy and wanted to sit apart from each other. Did eat their pellets in the end but it took them hours to eat 10gms !!!!

They were still excited by treats but would only eat 1 or 2, so knew they weren't themselves.

Sorry diverted a little from original poster.

But yes both were really sleepy and wanted to sit apart from each other. Did eat their pellets in the end but it took them hours to eat 10gms !!!!

They were still excited by treats but would only eat 1 or 2, so knew they weren't themselves.

Bless :love:
Glad they're OK now though :)

Back