Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Echinacea?

Default Echinacea?

I have lots of lovely purple coneflowers (echinacea) in my back garden and was wondering if all parts of the plants are edible and safe to feed to rabbits...?

Quote Originally Posted by RococoRabbitz View Post
    I have lots of lovely purple coneflowers (echinacea) in my back garden and was wondering if all parts of the plants are edible and safe to feed to rabbits...?
    One of the 'Naturals' dried herb bags has got the echinacea flower heads dried in it! I too have a coneflower plant in full bloom....and was wondering the same thing!!! I already feed the herb bag with them in....no idea though about the leaves....i'm thinking yes, but not been brave enough to try it!

Yes, same here: I'm hoping that somebunny here will be able to help us out!
    I know the entire plant is safe for mice & rats, but I'm just not sure about bunnies...?

I wouldn't go overboard with it. In humans you are recomended to stick to no more than the recomended amount and to discontinue use after 14 days. I think it is because, like st johns wort it actually does have very powerful interactions with the body & is linked with long term usage to liver damage (?). I'm highly allergic to the stuff!

http://www.ukmi.nhs.uk/Med_info/docu...hinaceaCMS.pdf

Rabbits in rescue need your help www.fatfluffs.com
    Adopt, foster, donate, sponsor, volunteer

I think it's only the _root_ that's used for medicinal purposes...? I'd be interested in feeding leaves & flowerheads. So if anybody here feeds those to their bunnies or has fed them in the past, I'd love to hear from them, please!

Quote Originally Posted by RococoRabbitz View Post
    I think it's only the _root_ that's used for medicinal purposes...? I'd be interested in feeding leaves & flowerheads. So if anybody here feeds those to their bunnies or has fed them in the past, I'd love to hear from them, please!
    yes the root is used in human medicine because it contains the highest concentrations however the compounds are found throughout the plant but in lower amounts. I'm not saying don't, I'm just saying don't go overboard & feed it in large amounts daily. A small amount should be ok.

Rabbits in rescue need your help www.fatfluffs.com
    Adopt, foster, donate, sponsor, volunteer

Thanks for your advice! I've offered some to my bunnies today, and they appear to quite like the leaves and petals. Not their favourite, though! And they ignored the stem and the rest of the flowerhead. Very particular for creatures who enjoy eating my skirting boards!

No. They're not safe for rabbits. I've looked into it myself.

Mine get echinecea leaves from the hay experts. Not their fav but they do like them. Not sure if they can eat garden varieties though.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mervinius View Post
    Mine get echinecea leaves from the hay experts. Not their fav but they do like them. Not sure if they can eat garden varieties though.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

It's the same thing - coneflower/echinacea

Galens Garden sell them too:

https://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/indi...-herb-pellets/

Really good immune support