• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaves from pea plants edible?

Bluebell's Mum

Warren Scout
I am growing mangetout peas in my garden. Is it safe to give rabbits the leaves from the plant? I know she can eat the actual peas but a big chunk of stalk with leaves has just broken off my plant and I wondered if it was ok to feed this.

The sell pea shoots (3-4" tall pea plants) for people to eat so I figured safe for bunnies too.

Not sweet peas in case anyone's wondering as they are poisonous.

The sell pea shoots (3-4" tall pea plants) for people to eat so I figured safe for bunnies too.

Not sweet peas in case anyone's wondering as they are poisonous.

My old bunny always use to eat these! I never knew they were poisonous so he did about 8 years of eating them out of my parents garden!

I am growing mangetout peas in my garden. Is it safe to give rabbits the leaves from the plant? I know she can eat the actual peas but a big chunk of stalk with leaves has just broken off my plant and I wondered if it was ok to feed this.

Yep! Perfectly safe - my buns get the whole plant when i'm not looking and lean on the bunny fence to reach it - I grow pea plants especially for them in the summer. Runner beans are NOT safe however, neither are sweet peas as Tamsin has already said.

Back