• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just got back from rush to vets.....

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
While doing a bum check i noticed an opening filled will grime down the side of fidget's genital area and what with the time of year i went into panic mode and legged it to the vets. Turns out she had got a load of dirt and grime caught in the fold of the skin down there which made it open wider so the vet cleaned it for me and gave her some rearguard to keep my mind at rest. God i hate this time of year sometimes!!!

While doing a bum check i noticed an opening filled will grime down the side of fidget's genital area and what with the time of year i went into panic mode and legged it to the vets. Turns out she had got a load of dirt and grime caught in the fold of the skin down there which made it open wider so the vet cleaned it for me and gave her some rearguard to keep my mind at rest. God i hate this time of year sometimes!!!

Yeah that's the inguinal space - inside which the inguinal gland is situated. A dark coloured secretion is secreted by the inguinal gland and a fine coating put over each dropping! It's how they scent their droppings....Mmmm! tasty! :lol:
Some buns get blocked inguinal spaces - I have such a bunny! It's not dirt and grime but bunny scent concentrate!! If you take a look at the Health sub-forum you'll see a recent post by me about just this. It describes how we clean it out ourselves :D But like Jane says....it really smells bad :lol: so hold your nose! :lol:

Yeah that's the inguinal space - inside which the inguinal gland is situated. A dark coloured secretion is secreted by the inguinal gland and a fine coating put over each dropping! It's how they scent their droppings....Mmmm! tasty! :lol:
Some buns get blocked inguinal spaces - I have such a bunny! It's not dirt and grime but bunny scent concentrate!! If you take a look at the Health sub-forum you'll see a recent post by me about just this. It describes how we clean it out ourselves :D But like Jane says....it really smells bad :lol: so hold your nose! :lol:

I used to clean my bridge bunny Flopsy's about every month, so got to know that area quite well:shock:, has anyone else ever seen broken skin in this area?

I have taken Princess Peach to the vets twice because she has a small (1-2mm) hole in her fold. When I clean it it has a small amount of blood in it. Three vets have checked in and said it is fine and normal but out of the six bunnies I've owned I've ever only seen this on Peach. Are the vets right that it is properly just where she has caught herself whilst washing, jumping etc or should I get a fourth opinion?

Peach has recetly lost a lot of weight but is slowly putting it back on and both bunnies had a 28 day preventitive dose of Panacur wen they lost weight.

I used to clean my bridge bunny Flopsy's about every month, so got to know that area quite well:shock:, has anyone else ever seen broken skin in this area?

I have taken Princess Peach to the vets twice because she has a small (1-2mm) hole in her fold. When I clean it it has a small amount of blood in it. Three vets have checked in and said it is fine and normal but out of the six bunnies I've owned I've ever only seen this on Peach. Are the vets right that it is properly just where she has caught herself whilst washing, jumping etc or should I get a fourth opinion?

Peach has recetly lost a lot of weight but is slowly putting it back on and both bunnies had a 28 day preventitive dose of Panacur wen they lost weight.

I think these folds should be self-cleaning or cleaned by bunny ideally. It's possible the hole is the opening to the gland itself? Is it on both sides? Hard to see without looking. I think if the vets say it is ok then it probably is. To be honest we don't look to closely as our 'blocked gland bunny' hates being inverted for too long and finds it stressful, so we tend to only do it every few months at the most, and just quickly wipe and leave. What do you clean it with? It's possible there is a little capillary near the surface and this is what bleeds if it gets knocked, or it could be something else? I think if you are really worried ask another vet:) The first time we found the blocked gland I rang the vets in a panic too :lol: you'd think after all my medical training i'd have expected it to be the inguinal gland! I just thought 'fly strike' immediately :oops: Oh well, better to be safe than sorry, so I think with this blood then do the same. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about tho:)

I think these folds should be self-cleaning or cleaned by bunny ideally.

Both my females either can't or won't clean this area and I have to do it for them every couple of months. Really don't know why as neither are overweight (confirmed last week by the vet when I took them for the myxi vaccs) but they just don't seem to want to bother. My male on the other hand is constantly cleaning and looks a but miffed if I even check he's ok down there.

Do you think I should ge the vet to check they are ok?

Both my females either can't or won't clean this area and I have to do it for them every couple of months. Really don't know why as neither are overweight (confirmed last week by the vet when I took them for the myxi vaccs) but they just don't seem to want to bother. My male on the other hand is constantly cleaning and looks a but miffed if I even check he's ok down there.

Do you think I should ge the vet to check they are ok?

I shouldn't worry too much it seems that a lot of us are having this issue!! :lol:
Our girl cleans hers but our boy doesn't...but then he really can't be bothered with this cleaning lark full stop! Much rather get Poppy to clean him....typical man :lol:
If you're worried then yes of course, get the vet to check and reassure you. I'm sure it's fine, we noticed this time one side had fallen out of its own accord and we only had to clean one side. So perhaps when they get so full they full out on their own anyway? We just noticed that our bun seems more comfortable once we've removed the build up. :)

I shouldn't worry too much it seems that a lot of us are having this issue!! :lol:
Our girl cleans hers but our boy doesn't...but then he really can't be bothered with this cleaning lark full stop! Much rather get Poppy to clean him....typical man :lol:
If you're worried then yes of course, get the vet to check and reassure you. I'm sure it's fine, we noticed this time one side had fallen out of its own accord and we only had to clean one side. So perhaps when they get so full they full out on their own anyway? We just noticed that our bun seems more comfortable once we've removed the build up. :)

Ok, good. I was always under the impression it was normal for some buns. You just seemed to know lots about it so thought I should check :lol:. I have the opposite with my buns, it's my boy who is the clean 1 and the girls who are happy to wander around covered in hay and dirt from digging.

Thanks PrettyLupin! See this is why i love this forum, some things the vets don't actually know you can find out on here.

I did notice the smell, that is what worried me, smelt infected!

I shall take a look at your thread. Shame i didn't see it earlier, would have saved me £21 :lol:

Thanks PrettyLupin! See this is why i love this forum, some things the vets don't actually know you can find out on here.

I did notice the smell, that is what worried me, smelt infected!

I shall take a look at your thread. Shame i didn't see it earlier, would have saved me £21 :lol:

Brilliant isn't it? Talking about the smell, I have noticed that my dominant female smells more than my other female.

I hate cleaning scent glands... you will fine that it is usually dominant females that tend to need cleaning more often, as they are generally more territorial and scent mark more. Milly always needs her cleaning! My sister rang me once panicking that her bunny had dried blood down there... I had to drive all the way over (an hour) just to tell her it was her scent glands that needed cleaning :lol:

I hate cleaning scent glands... you will fine that it is usually dominant females that tend to need cleaning more often, as they are generally more territorial and scent mark more. Milly always needs her cleaning! My sister rang me once panicking that her bunny had dried blood down there... I had to drive all the way over (an hour) just to tell her it was her scent glands that needed cleaning :lol:

Ewwwwwwww :lol::lol:

Back