• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguard 'Flystrike' its that time again!!!

Absolutely !! There really is no point. The limitations placed on it's use, make it suitable for healthy rabbits, which kind of negates it's need.

This is exactly what I said to the manufacturers, that the buns that need it can't even use it and those that don't need it can :? They said that it wasn't suitable for daily application if a bunny needed bathing that frequently as I asked specifically.

I think a lot of vets misunderstand how Rearguard works, mine included

and remember guys, if you have a free range flying bird (like my Cockatiels) don't put up flypaper like I did :oops::oops:

That red top fly catcher looks great. I no longer use fly tape after a section blew down and the end got stuck to Teddy's back. It took ages to pry it off without pulling his fur out, poor thing.

I have mint in tubs around my run but it doesn't seem to make any difference to repelling flies (the bunnies like to nibble it as it grows through the wire though!)

DSCF3309.jpg

Also, despite tham not being my favourite things, I now encourage spiders to set up home in the hutch by leaving any cobwebs! They're fellow crusdaders in the fight to guard bunny bottoms!

This is exactly what I said to the manufacturers, that the buns that need it can't even use it and those that don't need it can :? They said that it wasn't suitable for daily application if a bunny needed bathing that frequently as I asked specifically.

I think a lot of vets misunderstand how Rearguard works, mine included

I think a lot of owners think it's a repellant, and don't realise it only works AFTER the rabbit has been struck.

We've had no problems putting it on our buns, just a very light smear around the genital area every day so if they have decided to lick it, it's had no detrimental effect, but you still have to keep bum checking :lol: but it does tend to stain your finger if you don't wash it off your hands immediately, or wear a latex glove to put it on.

We've had no problems putting it on our buns, just a very light smear around the genital area every day so if they have decided to lick it, it's had no detrimental effect, but you still have to keep bum checking :lol: but it does tend to stain your finger if you don't wash it off your hands immediately, or wear a latex glove to put it on.

Cool, i think I may give it a go. Thanks :D

THis is a very interesting thread and I would like to say thanks!

I have not yet had a summer with buns, so this is all new to me. I clean and disinfect their shed everyday, so is this the right way avoid attracting flies in the first place?
I am unclear as to whether flies will just light on them and lay their eggs, or if they need to be attracted in the first place.
Sorry if this seems like a dumb ?????

Sorry to tell you NO its not!
Flystrike is caused by flies landing on bun and laying eggs any fly may just stop for rest on your rabbit.
Although it is more common to happen to elderly, incontinant bunnies. Or any bunny with a cut on there body where flies can smell the sore they will lay there eggs into. Just aswell I done this post!

But they lay their eggs on the bacteria caused by runny poo they do it on soiled fur. At least that's what I've always been told. (Haven't read the other posters yet)

EDIT: Hmmm some interesting points there and stuff I didn't know thanks for the thread I think buying like a fly light would be a good idea but where would you buy them???

Last edited:
Flies will lay eggs anywhere on a bun, poo is only one of the main attractants for flies. In saying that, even the cleanest bun can get flystrike. Flies seem to be more attracted to damp fur whether it be poo or pee or water initiated.

Flies will lay eggs anywhere on a bun, poo is only one of the main attractants for flies. In saying that, even the cleanest bun can get flystrike. Flies seem to be more attracted to damp fur whether it be poo or pee or water initiated.

Well thanks for the heads up with this thread :) eugh flies horrible creatures :evil:

The eggs hatch within a couple of hours too, I am always fearful it will happen to one of mine in the morning and by the time I get in from work it would be too late :(. It's not a dirty bunny problem it can happen to anybun at anytime, flies will lay eggs in anything not just on a bunny.

Sorry Lynda not posting that to you, you said what I was going to say :wave:

The eggs hatch within a couple of hours too, I am always fearful it will happen to one of mine in the morning and by the time I get in from work it would be too late :(. It's not a dirty bunny problem it can happen to anybun at anytime, flies will lay eggs in anything not just on a bunny.

Sorry Lynda not posting that to you, you said what I was going to say :wave:

Eugh really hate flies if I find any spiders im gonna put them in the shed :lol: where Joey and the guineas are! Spiders are our heroes lol

Back