Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is responsible?

Default Who is responsible?

This is something I have always found confusing and wondered if there is any hard and fast rule.

When you are helping with a bunnyrun for someone else and the bun stays over, if it gets sick who is responsible?

We have been involved in a lot of runs where buns have stayed with us either over night or for a week or more. I guess its because we are right in the middle of the country But it has always worried me about who is responsible for getting and paying for treatment if the bun becomes sick. At the end of the day even if they are stopping over at ours they are not my buns.

Once we had a really sick bunny here and I had to wait over 24 hours to get permission from the organisation involved to take it to a vet. The poor bunny died. Although the outcome probably would have been the same without the delay, it is not a position I would want to be in again.

There seems to be a lot of bunny runs happening again and we are more than happy to be involved but just wondered what the situation is with poorly buns.

Warren Veteran

Interesting question. I've taken part in bunny runs and not given this a moments thought .

First thought is that as the mere transported of the animal, the bunny runner is not responsible but then that leaves the question of who does it fall to i.e. the previous owner or the would be owner.

Interesting....
    Jill

Wise Old Thumper

I would think the person the bun is going to is responsible? But that is just my opinion

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today

I guess you could ask your vet if they would expect you to pay for the treatment as you took them in OR if they could send a bill to the registered owner.

If paperwork has been signed then I would assume person responsible is the new owner, if no paperwork has been signed then the responsibility would lie with the rescue.

Bunny mummy to: Arnie, Kira, Stevie, Eva, Alfie and Bobbi - Rest in peace my beautiful Jet and Stitch, always in my heart.

Join the RU Bookclub today! http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...70#post2910470

Funnily enough, I was only thinking this yesterday (no idea why!) I think it would be a very good idea to sort those things out in advance if the bun is staying over-night, ie permission to see a vet at your own discretion and who will pick up the bill.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

My vets and others that I have used will say that ultimately I would be responsible for the bill if it is sent to the new owner or the rescue and they didn't pay it. With my vet bills sometimes reaching 100 a week we could not afford to pay a bill for a bunny that isn't ours.

Also some buns are being rescued from a situation and taken to a rescue rather than from a rescue to a new owner so at that point no-one really owns them

I have also where a bunny has been here for a week inbetween being rescued and a new owner, one bun seemed off colour, I contacted the owner to be and said can i take it to the vets and they said no as their vet was cheaper

I can't just take someone elses bun to a vet for treatment without permission if it needs pts or has an op and dies I could be sued

I also know of people that have helped with buns and taken them to the vets when they have needed treatment as the new owner has said they will pay and then have gone back on their word

I also would have thought that the new owner (or the person at the eventual destination, be it owner or another rescue) would be responsible, however I think it would be a good idea to clarify the position on this before the bunnyrun takes place that whilst the people involved will take good care of the bunnies whilst they have them temporarily in their possession, any vet bills will be the responsibility of the new owner.
    Sorry for any typos!

It's definitely a huge grey area (ie of ownership), and the person looking after the bun is taking all the risks.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo's There View Post
    I have also where a bunny has been here for a week inbetween being rescued and a new owner, one bun seemed off colour, I contacted the owner to be and said can i take it to the vets and they said no as their vet was cheaper
    That is terrible! I can see your dilema, and to be honest that would make me reluctant to have bunnies stay over

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today

I don't know if that bunny made it to the vets but I do know that it didn't live for many months after the bunnyrun