• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who is responsible?

In an ideal world that would be great, but ofetn so many people get involved or they are such last minute things there is no time to organise paper work, also don't know how legally binding any paper work would be:?

My concern was that the bunny needed surgery which of course I had to agree to at my vets but if the bun had died under anaesthetic would I have been sued by the new owner if they had signed an adoption form from the rescue making it legally their bun and they hadn't agreed with the surgery :?

It is also great saying that you would pay out to stop the bun suffering but you also have to be realisitic, our vet bills are very high and they are a struggle to pay, if we then had to suddenly pay out £100's for treatment on a bun that wasn't ours it is taking funds away from our bunnies which have to be our priority :)
no u misunderstood i said if it was me i would pay out. however in yours (and possibly others) u have a priority to the large amounts of buns u care for it cant be the same... so i can understand your point. hmm its a tricky one. i guess u just have to hope that teh people involved care enough to help if not hand bunny over ot rspca ? or other local rescue willing to take it in(if there is ability to)

I definitely agree with Tamsin that it should be put in writing.

Just a friendly paper signed by the owner, and the person in charge of the bunny originally. Just stating that during the transport, if it is deemed by the transporter that the rabbit is in need of immediate medical attention, such attention will be sought, and the ____________ will be responsible for all bills accumulated.

(Edit: To clarify after reading other posts, the owner takes legal responsibility of the bun when they sign adoption forms, or when they pay for him. So if the owner AND original owners both sign something saying that they will allow you to treat if necessary while the rabbit is in your care, that is also legally binding. I can't see how that agreement wouldn't stand up in court if it was challenged, providing the document was worded extremely well. It does suck that this complicates things, because I'm assuming owner and original owner will have to sign different copies and fax them over and blah blah. Why can't it be easy?!)

Something like that, although legalese always scares me.

I think the people who originally had the bunny should be responsible. As the owner, I feel it is their responsibility to get my new bunny to me the same way I bought him.

However, if they refused to pay, I would pay the transporter myself, then argue it out with the original owners. I would hate to get the transporter involved in the middle, when they were clearly doing both of us a favor. Just my own personal stance. :)

Last edited:
this is a very very good point and one i will ponder on ...

:shock: :shock:

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.

When I first joined here and started helping with bunnyruns I did look around to see what the situation was but coukdn't really see anything :(.

Having had a few bad experiences now it is something that needs sorting.

I'm still not sure that anything in writing could stand up in court, as I'm not 100% that even rescue adoption forms actually stand up in court, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if it did stand up, I couldn't cope with the stress of going through a court case just because I tried to help get a bunny to its new home, especially when I have so many poorly buns to look after. I'm sure other people would feel the same.

It wasn't that long ago that Snowy had met someone for a handover to bring a rabbit to me from it's owner and that was ill, unfortunately Snowy was on the motorway and the best thing to do was to get it to me and I would take it to the vets however if it had been stopping over and she would have had to take it to the vets then I would have expected to pay the bill not her. I would say the people responsible are the people that are asking for the help to get the buns from AtoB not the in betweeners as they are just helping out. I think it should be agreed at the begining and as Tamsin as said a contract drawn up.

I remember that one :( Thankfully, if I'm right, that run was done all in one day.

It is bad enough when your own bun gets sick, but it is 10 times worse when you are responsible for someone elses bunny :(

I remember that one :( Thankfully, if I'm right, that run was done all in one day.

It is bad enough when your own bun gets sick, but it is 10 times worse when you are responsible for someone elses bunny :(

thats right and we won't ever do it again thats for sure:(

if we organised a bun ru ... for eg ...to get a bun from me another rescue ...then i would say that we would be responsible for any vet bills on the way right up until the handover ...

like wise if we had organised a bun run to get the bun to a new private home...them perhaps we should pay any vet bills ...

but what if the illness was caused by person transpoting the bun ...for eg they fed it sopmething it shouldnt have had :?

but what if the illness was caused by person transpoting the bun ...for eg they fed it sopmething it shouldnt have had :?

That just opens another can of worms :shock:

It is never ending :(

In all fairness the only times I have had problems was when I was a stop over for a few days when a lot of buns was going from one rescue to another and when a a group of buns from a private rescue were going to a private person and they satyed a week here.

i haven't had a problem with buns coming from rescues to new homes :) Doesn't mean it can't happen though :?

That just opens another can of worms :shock:

It is never ending :(

In all fairness the only times I have had problems was when I was a stop over for a few days when a lot of buns was going from one rescue to another and when a a group of buns from a private rescue were going to a private person and they satyed a week here.

i haven't had a problem with buns coming from rescues to new homes :) Doesn't mean it can't happen though :?

When you had the french lops for me I would have expected to pay any vets bills, as you were helping me out:)

When you had the french lops for me I would have expected to pay any vets bills, as you were helping me out:)

Thank you

I thought of them today when someone posted earlier on the thread that if the new owner didn't pay up they would keep the buns. I was thinking no thank you, I would pay you to take them :lol::lol: Bless them!

I hope they are all happily settled in new homes :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
:oops:I don't owe you any money do I:oops:

They are all doing fantastic:D

Thats good :)

I think I mentioned that I spent £80 on 2 bay trees for my neighbour to say sorry for them completely wrecking her lawn :lol::lol:

Back