Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the genital scent glands, Do you do this??????

Default Cleaning the genital scent glands, Do you do this??????

Having checked that my female rabbit had a clean bottom, now that the flies are about, I noticed she had dark brown, almost black hard crusty lumps, either side of her genitals, I have come across this before with another rabbit I had in the 90's, I never knew what it was, but cleaned and removed it, as I did with the female I have now
    After searching the internet, this is what I found, Just wondering how many of you out there are aware of this????????? As I have never heard it spoken of on the forum. And should I check my male rabbit too???? Or is it just females that have this??????

In addition to the scent glands under their chins, rabbits also have much more powerful scent glands on both sides of their genitals. This area needs to be checked and will probably always need cleaning. Sometimes you'll find just a few moist flakes from dried skin, but more often you'll find a very dark brown, hard, waxy type of build-up. Either of these can be easily removed with a cotton swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide. If this substance is not cleaned and is allowed to remain, the area could become infected.

The rabbit may have to be turned on its back to do this. Keep one hand pressed firmly on the stomach so that he/she cannot suddenly flip over and injure their back. Use your fingers to find the genitals and then to separate the area directly adjacent to the genitals. When you find the scent glands and separate the overlapping skin, the dark substance will become visible.
    If your rabbit ever has a "skunky" smell -- it's time for a cleaning!
    Tilly Milo Marley

Wise Old Thumper

Yep, this is one of the things I look at when I do my bottom checks and if necessary then I clean them out.

Not needed very often luckily.

Join me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRabbitCrossing

To see my bunnies for adoption at The Rabbit Crossing please click here
    http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?ContID=4125 or contact me at therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

What if they have been spay?
    "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Gandhi

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Hopping View Post
    What if they have been spay?
    Makes no difference. Both males and females still can get mucky scent glands. All of our bunnies are neutered and spayed and they can still get mucky.

Join me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRabbitCrossing

To see my bunnies for adoption at The Rabbit Crossing please click here
    http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?ContID=4125 or contact me at therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

oh yes the dirty job that most dont know about , i clean the does more often than the bucks dont know why they seem to get more stinky . I also think age has a lot do do with it

Yes, I've always checked that area and cleaned as necessary particularly when the rabbit is a bit fat and cannot reach them... it becomes hard, so as the skin is very very very thin inside, one has to be careful not to pull it in the process. I just moister to make the substance soft before cleaning. It's normal in both sex neutred and uneutered.. I quite like the smell of it it's so typical of rabbits that scent...
    Sorry for mistakes, but I'm French !!

Martine, Chloe (Bunny 11 years old ) & Lola (RIP : Minpin: dwarf Pinscher 2001-2012)
    In the rainbow bridge: Paquerette:1994-1996, Emilie: 1997-2002, Bun: 2002- 2003 (all ill rescued bunnies)
    Apart from loving them, we have no rights on animals, only duties

thanks for your replies, I guess I am learning new things about my rabbits everyday.
    Tilly Milo Marley

How often do you guys clean it?

=================================

I really appreciate the info on this thread. My mind wasn't thinking, as I should have know the answer. My bridge bun Goofball was spay, and I did clean her gland sometime after that.

So I should have known, but it was at least 1 yr. ago and I totally forgotten spay or not, it makes no difference. Somehow I thought once they are spay, there is no hormone, and no scent. Anyhoo today I clean both buns thoroughly. And I feel guilty as the dirt on Minnie has been there for 1 yr. and 8 mth., and there is a huge amt. of dirt, whereas Bernie, just some amt. of dirt, and he hasn't been clean for 1 yr. and 3 mth.
    "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Gandhi

I don't think it's good to do it too often as it is a natural fonction provided the rabbit can clean the hard part itself.. I do it irregularly when it appears that it needs to be done... when it's hard and coming out the edge. I did it recently but I had not done it for months.....
    Sorry for mistakes, but I'm French !!

Martine, Chloe (Bunny 11 years old ) & Lola (RIP : Minpin: dwarf Pinscher 2001-2012)
    In the rainbow bridge: Paquerette:1994-1996, Emilie: 1997-2002, Bun: 2002- 2003 (all ill rescued bunnies)
    Apart from loving them, we have no rights on animals, only duties

I only do it if it smells really bad (in a way that might attract flies) or is obviously blocked up. Some of them have never needed doing but my worse one is Fiver whose are done about 2-3 times a year.

Bunny Mummy to Juno, Scout & Fiver
    RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum