• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

female rabbit scared and making whimper noises

elijahfan

Young Bun
how can i help her, when i got her she was fine, she now cowers if you go near her and makes a whimper noise she even stamps her back foot ? she hasn't been miss treated or handled, we did have a fox in the garden a while back (killed a rabbit) i am wondering if it has something to do with this as she now has that rabbit's cage ?

its awful to see how can i help her, she used to love me now she seems scared of everything

Hello! :wave:

Sorry your bunny is unhappy :( Did she start acting this way when she started living in that hutch?

Did you thoroughly clean the hutch after the last rabbit before putting her in it? She might be picking up the scent of the other bunny who used to live there (or the fox, if it got in the cage) which is unsettling her. She sounds like she is grunting rather than whimpering which is a sign of aggression as well as being scared.

If you haven't done already, put her somewhere safe for a while (maybe in a run nearby on the grass?) and scrub that hutch out - every last inch of it - to make it neutral territory that she can make her own. I used a special hutch disinfectant from the pet shop which did the job, but I believe white vinegar is also a good 'neutralising' solution (can someone else clarify on that one?)

If you've already scrubbed and neutralised the hutch, then we can rule that out and start looking at what else might be upsetting her :)

Last edited:
i clean the cage out but didnt scrub it didnt think to, i will try and get her out today, she is normally ok once in the run till you try and pick her up again, she willmake the smae noises, poor thing look slike i have asomething fun to do today, its a really nice day today so she can have the run of the run today :D

thank you i am a totaly dumpty for not thinking of that, my pets atm are causing there own little bits of trouble atm lol, they all have very much there own personality lol

Is she spayed ?
If not could she be pregnant? The behaviour you describe is like that of a pregnant Doe or one having a pseudopregnancy.

she has recently had a phantom pregnancy but as adivised i removed her nest untillshe stoped making them, she isnt pregnant as she hasnt been in contact with our male rabbit, could the removing of the nest have upset her ? i hope not as this is what i was advised to do by a breeder :(

Back