Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the better food?

Default What is the better food?

I was just wondering ok ok having a little worry what is the better food to feed bunnies over excel or Science selective? I was just looking at science selective and noticed they now have one for junior bunnies and mature ones over 4 years old!! This one contains 22% fibre thats really good isnt it? Obviously pepsi is mainly fed on plenty of hay and veggies with a small bowl of the adult excel at night and cookie is under five months so I keep his bowl of junior excel there all the time, feeding veggies and hay alongside is this right? When should I reduce his pellets? However as Pepsi had a problem with his gut a few weeks back I looked at the fibre content of excel and its only 16% and adult SS is 19% which is better so which do you think is better?

Sorry I didnt explain it very clear my two bunnies are currently having excel! Heres the link for the SS if anyone wants to have a look
    http://www.supremepetfoods.com/products/science
    Last edited by Bunnyx; 07-04-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Warren Veteran

I use SS as the fibre content is higher and by buns digestive system cannot cope with excel. I would go with SS if you can afford it and if you think Pepsi's digestion problems are down to excel. Sounds like you are thinking the right way with the balance though. All mine are on the mature SS as my eldest cannot cope with anything else. My youngest has been on it since he was 10 months as he shares his food with the girls and he is fine if that helps with your decision any.

Wise Old Thumper

I think that Science Selective is the best pelleted feed on the market.
    Shame its also one of the most expensive !!
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

I agree with Jane, I think it's the best. My nethies are both 6 and they are now eating the mature version, which is a bit more expensive than the normal as it contains timothy hay imported from North America - but I've been buying it from vetuk.co.uk and it's only 4.03 a bag...I'm stocking up on cat food at the same time so I don't have to pay postage My other buns are still on the normal SS as they are all good hay eaters anyway so it doesn't really make a lot of difference to them.
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

I vote Science Selective to. Excel can in some rabbits cause sticky poos.

Friendly Rabbit Forum for over 16's. Come and join everyone else over here!!

http://rabbitrendezvous.co.uk/

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanhoney View Post
    I vote Science Selective to. Excel can in some rabbits cause sticky poos.
    Sticky poos? anything other than mature SS with 1 of mine .....you don't need a description

mine (Ty and Bru) were on excel then I switched to SS for Sparkle because she does have a delicate tum (she's a delicate soul jus like her mum!!!) and Ty and Bru liked it so much they are on it now.

Wise Old Thumper

I swear SS has something addictive added to it
    I used to feed A+P and whilst it has a good fibre content I found many of my Buns lost a lot of condition on it.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Mine is on Excel and loves it. He has always had the dark green bag and no problems.