• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are 3ft deep hutches a nightmare to clean?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
I have never actually seen a hutch this deep so finding it hard to judge, is it a nightmare to reach the back to clean out? Am picturing myself having to send a small child in to get to the back corners! :lol:

No, they are fine to clean.

I built a double 6ft by 3ft hutch for my sister, and the only annoying bit is cleaning the bottom level as obviously you have to bend down!

I have one that is just under 3 feet deep....and as the sleeping compartment is relatively narrow, I DO find it a nightmare to clean out! I have visions of getting stuck in it and having to call the fire brigade to get me out!!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

If the hutch is at ground level then it probably is very tricky to clean out. Even a 2ft deep hutch is much easier to clean when it is about 2 ft off the ground. I have to crawl into the run which is under one of my hutches, that is a bit of a pain. It also depends on the bunnies. If they use their litter trays all the time, and you just have to brush some bits off the wood, then it is easier than if they wee onto the wood.

I have a ground-level hutch which is 2ft deep. I scoop out all the newspaper and the bulk of the woodshavings, then I get the hoover on the rest of it because I don't want a sore back :lol: If it's off the ground then it will be a lot easier to reach in and clean.

I only normally wash/disinfect/scrub my hutch twice a year in early spring and late summer, that job is quite literally a pain in the back :roll:

i have a 2ft deep hutch and i find it easy to clean, to top eaiser then the bottem haha. but i roll up the newspaper then hoover the sawdust and poopies that has been left after taking out the newspaper and then done.... just need to refill it haha.

They're not too bad if they're raised off the ground, but they're a real mare if you have a really skittish rabbit and you need to catch it - they're always just that little too far out of reach!

:) sounds like they can be tricky then!

I am getting one made soon and think I might go for 2.5 rather than 3 feet deep for ease of cleaning. Top level will be for my piggies so will need thorough cleaning. Bottom level will be base for rabbit litter tray etc but will be permanently open in shed. They are pretty good with their trays so should be ok to keep the bottom clean :D

My 3ft deep hutches are 2ft off the ground and are dead easy to clean but i did have them on the floor for a while and they were a nightmare!

Cleaning isn't a problem but retrieving a reluctant bunny from the corner can be a drama when they don't want to be picked up! She knows I can't reach!!

I have one that is just under 3 feet deep....and as the sleeping compartment is relatively narrow, I DO find it a nightmare to clean out! I have visions of getting stuck in it and having to call the fire brigade to get me out!!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
:lol::lol: I resolved that problem by removing the partition for the sleeping compartment and putting a redundant pet carrier(remove its door if you want!) there instead. It makes it easier to clean the whole hutch without the bedroom "wall".

We have triples that are 3ft deep and 2.5 ft high. Middle one is a breeze to clean but getting to the back of the top one is a nightmare and needs a step stool. Bottom one isn't too bad, but ask Jackbun about my OH climbing inside a bottom one to tempt Drake and Josh out of one:lol:

We have triples that are 3ft deep and 2.5 ft high. Middle one is a breeze to clean but getting to the back of the top one is a nightmare and needs a step stool. Bottom one isn't too bad, but ask Jackbun about my OH climbing inside a bottom one to tempt Drake and Josh out of one:lol:

:lol::lol:
Im so sorry:lol: Your OH must dread me coming:oops::lol:

mine is 4 ft deep and its fine! as long as its tall enough. i can lean right into mine and sweep into the corners ( i used to fit into it but ive put weight on :oops: :lol:)

Mine's 4 ft deep. It's also 3ft high at the front and on a 10 inch stand so last time I cleaned it out I just got inside to sweep up the last bits. :lol:

Quite funny looking out of it - felt like I was intruding!

I had a 3ft deep hutch but it was a mare to clean - my arms aren't long enough :lol:

I had to get rid of it and got a less deep one - don't know why I bothered though, the bloody rabbits never use it :roll: €200 down the drain :lol:

Back