• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits eat tomatoes????

Yes, the leaves are posionous but your rabbits would probably naturally not eat these anyway.

As a rule of thumb I have never given any of our animals anything raw from the nightshade family of plants - (potato, aubergine, tomatoes or peppers). If we get any of these donated then I boil them up for our pigs to eat (big pigs, not guineas:lol:). That said we have 2 rabbit here whose previous owners said they loved tomatoes so what do I know!

oh gosh, my dandilion ate my tomato plant last summer in the garden and i let her thinking it would be ok!- shes still alive, it wasnt that big- why are they poisionoius?:?

A small amount of ripe tomato (cherry sized) is fine and is high in potassium & anti oxidents so probably good for buns. The seeds you remove I think because they are indegestible & therefore might cause a blockage. I imagine they are also higher in the toxin that the rest of the flesh too. A pepper should be ok too but again not the seeds. Potato is a definate no unless you have a need to fatten a bunny up & it has to be cooked & even then a small amount of porridge would probably be better. I don't think I'd eat a raw aubergine so I don't imagine that a bunny would like it :)

Tomato leafs are toxic because they contain a drug very similar to niccotine which is fatel in high doses.

oh god! i feel this summer the tommy plants will be NO WHERE near the bunnies! thanks for that info- we are good with all other vegys:p- it was the damned tommy plant:evil:

how are they with hosters? she got hold of that plant too last summer- i moved it quick but the little trouble maker had a go on it b4 i could stop her! looks like all plants to be up up out the way this year!!!!!:D

I agree with all the above (leaves and seeds should be avoided!), but I would also worry about how watery tomatoes are. Feeding lots of tomato could probably lead to mushy stool or an upset in the tummy, so I would give tomato very sparingly.

Your bunny is lucky to have such a concerned owner who wants to fill 'em up with yummy treats!

I've given mine a scraped out half of a small cherry tomato before, don't think she was overly keen on it to be honest.

no it is best not to, because tomato is acid, which is no good to rabbits' stomach, they are plenty of other vegetables to eat.. in general, fruits are to be given as a treat very occasionnally due to their high concentration in sugar, but also in acid.. and orange's and so on, should really be avoided as well...

Back