• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and salt

yesheadjon

New Kit
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I wasn't sure whether to put this here or under health. Anyway, I have just chipped away all the ice and compacted snow in the bunnies run (about 6ft x 6ft) but to get rid of the really stubborn and slippy bits I used a liberal sprinking of table salt. My question is whether salt is harmful to bunnies. I can leave it and let them out of the hutch, but am worries that they will get it all over their feet and lick it off and it will harm them. Alternatively I can rinse this away but risk turning the whole thing turning into an ice-rink tonight when it freezes.

Many thanks

Jon

I would try & get rid of it if you can. Boiling water might be the best way as that will dissolve it faster so you use less water. Can you lay down some straw to prevent ice rink?

I would try & get rid of it if you can. Boiling water might be the best way as that will dissolve it faster so you use less water. Can you lay down some straw to prevent ice rink?

Thanks for the advice. I figured that if it rained it would be exactly the same as me hosing it down as long as I don't leave standing water. It is not freezing at the moment (I'm in Nottingham so not far from you !!) and it is not due to go minus until about 3am tomorrow. So job done, can't risk the bunnies!!!

Thanks again

Jon

Back