• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Readigrass for Giant House Rabbits

Claire B

New Kit
Hi,

I have read on various web sites that readigrass for giant house rabbits is essential as it contains extra nutrients etc as they suffer with their joints as they get older.

My rabbit is 15 weeks now and I obviously want to give him the best of everything and was wondering if any fellow member has a giant rabbit that can confirm that it is necessary to give him it.

Many thanks :)

Claire B

Hiya :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

I have 2 giant house bunnies, bothhave readigrass about 3 - 4 times a week. Ive never heard its a 'must' as such :)

My house bunnies also have normal grass which we pick from outside :) and a variety of different hay, their favourite being the oxbow Western Timothy Hay :)

Would love to see pics of your bunny :) xXx

All my bunnies have a bowl of Readigrass each lunch time - they all love it, and mine are all outdoor bunnies.

I've never heard of it as a "must" either - where did that come from?

Pics of your new bunny would be great!

Mine have it everyday through the winter because they dont get much grass, i buy it from my horsey shop :) dont think its a must but they like it and its good for them :)

Update on readigrass

Hi,

Just to let you know that I have ordered some readigrass for my babe - I will let you know how he gets on with it.

I will take a picture of my new (rather large) babe as I think he is adorable.

I also have two outside rabbits, one a belgian and the other a dutch, again I will take piccies for you all to see.

Thank you for all your replies.

Claire B

Aww bless him. Id only give him a small amount to start with :) All my guys pig out on Readigrass and would eat the whole bag if they could :shock:

Looking foward to the pics :D xXx

I've got a giant (French Lop x Conti) and two large rabbits (French Lop and Champagne D'Argent) and have never heard either than Readi Grass is a must. In fact, mine never get it. Their diet consists of 90% meadow grass hay, some veg and some pellets.

Vera

Can anyone tell me if Readigrass has more calcium in it than timothy hay please?

I have a bale in the garage - I'll go and have a look....

The sack states that the calcium content is 8g per kg. I'm not sure what Timothy hay is..

Last edited:
Well it looks like Readigrass is 0.8% calcium (based on 8g per kg) wheras Timothy hay is around 0.3% and alfalfa varying between 1 - 2%

thankyou.will try it when shes better as ive got it but will keep a close eye on her to makesure it doesn't aggrivate her cystitis.

Back