• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed plz...

Bigger bunnies take longer to mature so whilst a small bun may be an excellent mum at 9 months, a bigger bun is still learning.

What did you do to try and help the kits survive? Was mum feeding them?

Bigger bunnies take longer to mature so whilst a small bun may be an excellent mum at 9 months, a bigger bun is still learning.

Thanks Sky-O I felt sure I had seen this somewhere. Do you know of any site that goes into a giant bun's growth/maturity etc at all? x

No, but I know of people. I have pointed beckz in the direction of a good place that can help her more specifically with breeding, so if/when she wants that help the option is there to her.

Another option is to contact breeders on the BRC and talk with them about breeding and learn from them that way, making sure it is a decent breeder.

Hi Beckz just looking on this site here http://weedflemishgiantrabbitry.com/id99.html
And found this quote but it's a bit ambiguous
"Flemish Giant minimum weights for a senior ( 10 months) are 14.5 lbs for a doe and 13 lbs for a buck. By today's standards, those are pretty low weights. More commonly they run at full growth (14-18 months) 16.5 to 21 lbs, and 24 pounders crop up frequently."

I think you said yours were giant lops? So I know this doesnt necessarily spply but I've done a little search and thats all I can find that refers to it just now really. :? Are yours French lops or something else? (sorry you may have said already)

yeah mine are giant french lops...so i need to really know if this breed of rabbit does have any difficulties whatsoeva in having their own litters...if anyone has heard of this that would be great.:)

all i did was making sure mum had plenty of food and water...and i kept putting in loads of hay for the babies every day...mum seemed to be coping as she pushed all the new hay into where the babys were...and when i checked on them, as i lifted the hay from on top of them, i could feel the warmth coming from them, and they were all snuggled together... whether it being a wives tail or not, alot of people have told me not to interfere with the babies to much as she can reject them, so this is all i did, fearing this would happen...i spoke to a local vet and she advised me to leave them alone, carrying on with what im doing...so this i done...as for mum feeding them, im not to sure as i was always checking on her and could never see...your supposed to check in the morning, which i did, and they were so huddled together it was hard to see their bellys as mum kept coming in ( even though i gave her a feed to distract her)...but cos she heard the hay moving around she kept coming in watching me and stamping her foot in anger...so i came away...:? i didnt know really what else to do and bearing in mind the babies died after 2/3 days...:cry:
You said that larger rabbits take longer to mature...so what age would you suggest that would be the right time for her to have a litter?:?

I don't know much about larger rabbits, which is why I pointed you in various directions that might help.

It is a myth that does reject their young if you handle and touch them. It may be that your doe was not feeding them, and because you didn't have the right knowledge to know what to do in this situation, they starved to death. It may of course not be that, but, to me, that seems something potentially likely, especially as she is quite young.

If you have a litter again you need to check them regularly, to ensure they have been fed. If they have not been fed then you will need to help mum feed them (and not be tempted to feed them yourself). If this occurs then there are several ways you can try, and that would probably be something to ask at the time.

Also another thing to think about is mum's diet because its possible she may not have been producing milk. Did you adjust her diet? What diet is she on?

Ideally though, if you want to breed, you need to have a foster mum around, so if you are determined to do this I would suggest striking up a relationship with a nearby breeder and working alongside them so if something happens there would be another bun to take on the kits.

I don't know much about larger rabbits, which is why I pointed you in various directions that might help.

It is a myth that does reject their young if you handle and touch them. It may be that your doe was not feeding them, and because you didn't have the right knowledge to know what to do in this situation, they starved to death. It may of course not be that, but, to me, that seems something potentially likely, especially as she is quite young.

If you have a litter again you need to check them regularly, to ensure they have been fed. If they have not been fed then you will need to help mum feed them (and not be tempted to feed them yourself). If this occurs then there are several ways you can try, and that would probably be something to ask at the time.

Also another thing to think about is mum's diet because its possible she may not have been producing milk. Did you adjust her diet? What diet is she on?

Ideally though, if you want to breed, you need to have a foster mum around, so if you are determined to do this I would suggest striking up a relationship with a nearby breeder and working alongside them so if something happens there would be another bun to take on the kits.

ok...i have joined that other forum you told me about so hopefully i will get some more good advice and pointed in the right direction...not directing this to you but i really need to speak to someone that knows alot about them as i have spoke to loads of people that say they know what they are talking about when clearly they dont as im going wrong somewhere with the advice ive being given...none of these people told me she had to be on a special diet i was told just make sure she has plenty of food which i was doing...its frustrating as im following these so called advice and its going horribly wrong :(

No that's fine. The bigger breeds I know less about, the smaller breeds (namely nethies and lionheads) I know more about, but I can help generally in terms of advice, like how to help mum feed and stuff, but french lop specific advice, I can't do. I have seen you posted and tried to reply but my internet died, lol.

I dont know specifically about french lops either.
All I can say is with my doe who had her ten babies, because there were so many I counted them out morning and evening to check them all.
I'm not saying my way is correct i just read through the net and decided that this is what i would do.

I'll just put it down in the hope of being useful :)

My doe had a nest box, that she made her nest in, in the dark part of her hutch with the closed of door. In the morning, I'd put her out into her run, without the babies of course, they stayed in the nest.
Once she was out I then rubbed my hands in her litter and checked each one of her babies, to check their bellies had a round appearance and were not sunken or wrinkly.

If I had to get to work I'd put mumbun back after I'd checked through and replace the nest box, if not, then I'd let Tam have a couple of hours in her run munching grass, even Mumbuns have to have some downtime! :)
I did the same again in the evening, Tamlin (mumbun) into her run and checked every baby.

I did this religiously because I'd heard that if one baby died, of course it would go cold, it then put the other babies at risk of pnuemonia I believe cos they would then get chilled from lying next to the dead one.
After 1 week a couple of the babies were looking smaller/less nourished than the others. Because they had come this far I felt I couldnt just let nature take its course, on my vets advice I supplemented mumbun's milk with some kitten milk with probiotic added. I fed them from a syringe, really allowing them to lick it from the tip rather than putting it into their mouths and risk drowning them.

I did this pretty much same as before, they still all stayed with her but I'd put her out in the run and bring the whole nest box indoors.
I dont know if any of that helps or sheds any light onto the situation you've had. The only thing I can think of is that you remove your mumbun (if you decide to try again) from her hutch entirely and into a run while you check the babies thoroughly so she wont be worried by your presence near the babies.

With regard to diet, does your lady bun eat a pelleted food? If yes, great, if not, you may wish to change her onto one, a pelleted food prevents selective feeding and makes sure bunny gets all the vitamins and minerals she needs.

I was also advised by my vet that my mumbun, who was previously on Excel pellets, should be on Excel Junior and Dwarf pellets which is for pregnant/lactating does or smaller breeds. I cant recall exactly but I'm pretty sure Tamlin had unlimited pellets and hay etc during the first month or so of her feeding them.

Do you have a good relationship with your doe? Sorry, what I mean is, is she usually grumpy or does she not mind you around your hutch etc usually?
While Tam was pregnant I used to just sit with her a long while giving her noserubs and laying my hand on her belly while she lay, i could feel the little ones move inside. I know not all buns are the same and some are mardy mares, but Tam was very shy, still is, but I think she kinda learnt that I wouldnt do her any harm and I think I probably always put her in her run too when I cleaned her out, so I hope she never felt I was 'invading' her space.

Tamlin's babies were born 2nd October. The weather was still quite mild then. I guess there's no way of knwoing if weather played a part, many does do mother litters in the cold to no ill effect but a spring mating is probably the best time to remove that variable.

Sorry, non of this is of course breed specific and I may have just said stuuf you already knew or have done but in the hope of beign helpful I thought I'd put it down.

It still may be I guess that your doe just isnt a natural mother :? as Sky-O says to line up a foster mum would prob be a good idea if you were to try again.

I still, in my opinion, believe neutering your two and letting them live happy ever after, and maybe fostering for a rescue and taking care of a pregnant rescue doe and raising a litter that way would be a better use of your love of bunnies ;) but hey.

I hope your research gives you the answers you need x

I dont know specifically about french lops either.
All I can say is with my doe who had her ten babies, because there were so many I counted them out morning and evening to check them all.
I'm not saying my way is correct i just read through the net and decided that this is what i would do.

I'll just put it down in the hope of being useful :)

My doe had a nest box, that she made her nest in, in the dark part of her hutch with the closed of door. In the morning, I'd put her out into her run, without the babies of course, they stayed in the nest.
Once she was out I then rubbed my hands in her litter and checked each one of her babies, to check their bellies had a round appearance and were not sunken or wrinkly.

If I had to get to work I'd put mumbun back after I'd checked through and replace the nest box, if not, then I'd let Tam have a couple of hours in her run munching grass, even Mumbuns have to have some downtime! :)
I did the same again in the evening, Tamlin (mumbun) into her run and checked every baby.

I did this religiously because I'd heard that if one baby died, of course it would go cold, it then put the other babies at risk of pnuemonia I believe cos they would then get chilled from lying next to the dead one.
After 1 week a couple of the babies were looking smaller/less nourished than the others. Because they had come this far I felt I couldnt just let nature take its course, on my vets advice I supplemented mumbun's milk with some kitten milk with probiotic added. I fed them from a syringe, really allowing them to lick it from the tip rather than putting it into their mouths and risk drowning them.

I did this pretty much same as before, they still all stayed with her but I'd put her out in the run and bring the whole nest box indoors.
I dont know if any of that helps or sheds any light onto the situation you've had. The only thing I can think of is that you remove your mumbun (if you decide to try again) from her hutch entirely and into a run while you check the babies thoroughly so she wont be worried by your presence near the babies.

With regard to diet, does your lady bun eat a pelleted food? If yes, great, if not, you may wish to change her onto one, a pelleted food prevents selective feeding and makes sure bunny gets all the vitamins and minerals she needs.

I was also advised by my vet that my mumbun, who was previously on Excel pellets, should be on Excel Junior and Dwarf pellets which is for pregnant/lactating does or smaller breeds. I cant recall exactly but I'm pretty sure Tamlin had unlimited pellets and hay etc during the first month or so of her feeding them.

Do you have a good relationship with your doe? Sorry, what I mean is, is she usually grumpy or does she not mind you around your hutch etc usually?
While Tam was pregnant I used to just sit with her a long while giving her noserubs and laying my hand on her belly while she lay, i could feel the little ones move inside. I know not all buns are the same and some are mardy mares, but Tam was very shy, still is, but I think she kinda learnt that I wouldnt do her any harm and I think I probably always put her in her run too when I cleaned her out, so I hope she never felt I was 'invading' her space.

Tamlin's babies were born 2nd October. The weather was still quite mild then. I guess there's no way of knwoing if weather played a part, many does do mother litters in the cold to no ill effect but a spring mating is probably the best time to remove that variable.

Sorry, non of this is of course breed specific and I may have just said stuuf you already knew or have done but in the hope of beign helpful I thought I'd put it down.

It still may be I guess that your doe just isnt a natural mother :? as Sky-O says to line up a foster mum would prob be a good idea if you were to try again.

I still, in my opinion, believe neutering your two and letting them live happy ever after, and maybe fostering for a rescue and taking care of a pregnant rescue doe and raising a litter that way would be a better use of your love of bunnies ;) but hey.

I hope your research gives you the answers you need x

hi, thanks for that...both my rabbits are on 'burgess' food...she eats anything and isnt fussy what she eats, she clears her whole bowl of food (unlike the male who is so fussy)...we do have a good realtionship as im the 1 that feeds and cleans her hutch so she knows who i am...when other people want to stroke her she doesnt really want to know, she would probably give her foot a stamp!...but saying that shes not spiteful she doesnt bite, its just shes a bit tempermental!!!...the thing is the nest she built was by the opening of the bedroom, now obviously im not going to move her nest as i suppose thats where she wanted it so i dont think that helped either (there is a weathersheild on the hutch to help block out the cold and wind)

Back