• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

re new posters

happypreso

Alpha Buck
Hi, I have been reading the thread re the rabbit losing her litters and the replies etc and just wanted to maybe add some advice for all/some of the members here to maybe encourage new members and to 'convert' people.

Here is some background info about me (just so you know) when I was a young girl we used to have several rabbits and guinea pigs. I think we had about 4 hutches with 2 rabbits (or one rabbit and 2 guinea pigs) in each. We bred these rabbits and gave the babies away to anyone that wanted them (no homechecks etc). We didn't get them neutered or vax'd (we did used to seperate the boys and girls after one litter so they wasn't constantly breeding) and all the rabbits lead a full and healthy life. None of the rabbits or guinea pigs were even registered at a vets! This was about 20 years ago.

Since having my 2 buns (Aug 2008), I realise how much things have changed. Both Bugs & Star have been vax'd, get checked regularly, have free run of the garden and are really quite spoilt. Yes I did decided to breed them (only the once, the 2nd litter really was an accident!) and it was from this decision of breeding that I found this forum. When the first litter was born, they were all scattered over the hutch. We found 1 baby already dead (from the cold I think) and I wanted to help the other remaining 4 to live (3 survived in the end). I searched the internet for help and this is how I found the forum. I didn't know this forum was mainly posters from rescues etc. I didn't think I had done anything 'wrong' but over the last few months, you people have KINDLY talked some sense into me! Like I say the 2nd litter was a pure accident and there is no way I would breed rabbits again. I ensure that my rabbits have the basic needs and much more (like the right size hutch, toys, lovely expensive hay (!) etc etc) and that is thanks to you lovely people (like the hay expert website - never seen so many different hays!). When my second litter had problems with the eyes - it was you people I turned too and the answers were all here, I dont know (esp with the eye problem) what I would have done without you!

BUT I think you need to calm down (sorry, best words I can think of!) a bit when you get someone posting a thread like the litter problems thread. If I had posted that thread and received them replies, there is no way I would have come back .... and then she/he will carry on doing what they are doing without any help and knowledge. You people know your stuff and are so kind and caring and there are ways you can help people but not by shouting and 'carrying on' like the replies in that post. I have no idea if the post is 'real' or not but surely if it is real then that person needs our help (just like I did). You can change peoples views but you have to talk calmly and understanding people not assuming the worse. (and dont get me wrong, I dont agree with any of what the person said but you dont know the full ins and outs and sometimes it is very hard to explain when writing it down!)

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post but as a newbie that wasn't aware of the rescues and all the hard work you do and the way you felt about breeding when I joined, I just felt I had to say something.

I personally PMed that person and did not get a response. I also asked relevant questions on the thread and got ignored. If that person wanted help, why did they not respond?

I think what you have to remember is that so many people on this site see and go through so much with neglected and/or unwanted bunnies. Yes, people will be strong with their views when their life is dedicated to rabbits who are not yet wanted and do not have homes, and then you see people adding to that problem, thus creating more work for them.

I do agree that sometimes this place is highly judgemental, but I can also understand the reasons behind that and how people feel and why they react as they do. I do think though, that people's points can often be communicated more successfully when people don't feel attacked, and often the result can be more successful, but when you post on a forum that is about rehoming and unwanted rabbits, about the things that person posted about, it doesn't take an intelligent person to work out its going to provoke emotive responses.

Edited because it made limited sense :p

Last edited:
I personally PMed that person and did not get a response. I also asked relevant questions on the thread and got ignored. If that person wanted help, why did they not respond?

I think what you have to remember is what so many people on this site see and go through with neglected, unwanted bunnies. Yes, people will be strong with their views when their life i dedicated to rabbits who are not yet wanted, and then you see people adding to that problem, thus creating more work for them.

I do agree that sometimes this place is highly judgemental sometimes, but I can also understand the reasons behind that and how people feel and why they react as they do. I do think though, that people's points can often be communicated more successfully when people don't feel attacked, and often the result can be more successful, but when you post on a forum that is about rehoming and unwanted rabbits, about the things that person posted about, it doesn't take an intelligent person to work out its going to provoke emotive responses.

I do agree with you *but* when you first join, you dont know that it a 'rescue' forum rather than just a rabbit forum (well I certainly didn't) ... if that makes sense? I just thought it was a rabbit forum, a place where people loved their buns - which I do and I would never knowely hurt any animal but sometimes you dont know if what you are doing is right?

Like I say you (ie everyone here) were actually rather kind to me and I have been looking at everyone's websites etc and now have a better understanding of the whole 'rabbit world' picture! To be honest, when I was looking around for Bugs & Star, I looked at the rabbit rehome website and couldn't find anything local to me!! If I had know about this forum, then I am sure I would of been able to picked up a couple of buns and had good advice from the start.

I know people are going to have strong views esp if you have seen neglected, unwanted bunnies (personally I haven't) but I am just saying that maybe by not attacking people straight away when they join you have a better long term option of 'converting' them .....

I do agree with you *but* when you first join, you dont know that it a 'rescue' forum rather than just a rabbit forum (well I certainly didn't) ... if that makes sense? I just thought it was a rabbit forum, a place where people loved their buns - which I do and I would never knowely hurt any animal but sometimes you dont know if what you are doing is right?

L.

Hi:wave: The Forum is not specifically a Rescue forum, it is open to Rescues, Rabbit keepers and anyone just with an interest in bunnies.

Last edited:
Hi:wave: The Forum is not specifically a Rescue forum, it is open to Rescues, Rabbit keepers and anyone just with an interest in bunnies.

That was from my poorly worded bit that said 'a forum that is about rehoming and unwanted rabbits'.

Out of interest, if a breeder came here would they be welcome/made to feel welcome? I mean in general. What about those who sell rabbits for meat? They can love their buns as much as anyone else, and just live a different lifestyle. That's not me saying I agree with it, by the way, I'm actually trying to gain a better unstanding of the forum because I always thought it was predominantly for pet owners and those involved in rescuing animals.

That was from my poorly worded bit that said 'a forum that is about rehoming and unwanted rabbits'.

To be fair though, if a breeder came here would they be welcome/made to feel welcome?

They should be. It has been said many times that breeders are welcome on RU.

I would do understand where you are coming from happypreso, but on that particular thread I did notice as Sky-O has pointed out, that Sky-O and a couple of other people did ask very relevant questions addressed to the OP, they were not attacking or judgemental, and the OP ignored them. :?

It is so hard for many people on here, given the things they have seen and the work they do, for them not to be judgemental. Who can blame them for that?

And when relevent questions, offering help, or trying to gather more info to give advice, are ignored, I cant blame anyone for getting frustrated and annoyed.

I may be completely wrong (probably) but I do feel that people who can take a bit of stick, but stay with it and improves their own knowledge and their bunnies lives for the better, are kinda always going to be that sort of person.

And from experience on here befor there are people that no matter how much they are reached out to, helped, advised etc etc , they are determined to carry on their own merry way and only seem to take pleasure in arguing with those who dont agree with their, often, thoughtless and selfish ways.

Hmmm sorry not really sure any of that was relevent. Thinkin out loud really! :oops: :lol:

I hope no offence is taken to this but it doesn't come across that way (in my opinion)

They should be. It has been said many times that breeders are welcome on RU.

Hi, again I hope no-one takes offence but people dont give that impression that everyone is welcome ... ie I remember reading a post about someone breeding the buns for meat (and the replies were 'are you joking') - dont get me wrong I could never eat a rabbit in any way, shape or form but people do. It is a fact. I eat other meats just not rabbits!

Also like the thread today re the dead litter. Yes, I agree the post didn't sound that good (ie I let them go and live in the wild) but if the forest set up is true (ie runs in the forest), is that so wrong? If the buns have food, water, are safe and are looked after they might actually like a forest outlook? and yes I also agree that OP didn't answer some simple questions but if you look from her point of view - she found this forum and asked why her litters were dying and she ended up trying to defend her whole garden set up!

that is because the forum is derived from a page rabbit rehome to help unwanted rabbits find good home its main objective is to help any rabbit owner to give their rabbit the best life obviously the majority of people on here came via a rescue or via the original rabbit rehome page and therefore have very strong views which can sometimes be put across too strongly. i agree with you that everyone is welcome here but if we want anyone on any forum to change their opinions or give valid reasons for what they do then they should try with a cal m and helpful approach i try to do this as much as i can.

also in regard to breeding although there are some albeit a majority on here who are anti breeding there are also some pro breeders those on here i believe mostly do so responsibly and therefore rescues have little interest or problems with them.. ie only breed from a rabit 1-3 times in life after get her spayed and do not force to be mated through holding down... they will ensure a good quality of life and do not breed for profit but to help the breed they check genetics no on e is saying people cant make mistakes but iits trying to help those new to rabbit care to give their animal the best possibe life tho i can understand when those who have seen such awful things come from unwanted abandoned neglected rabbits say stuff in a harsh manner as im sure that it must be frustrating to feel all your work is being undone. i think your post will amke some of those posters think about converting to thier point of veiw rather than hsving a go.. x

If she wanted help for the litter she could have ignored all replies and just answered those who tried to help in a constructive way. HOWEVER, I think this thread is good in a general way because it can work as a reminder for people, but I do think that making it specific and personal about a different thread may not be so good. Mayb e if you have a problem with that thread and how people responded could you take it to the mods?

I would do understand where you are coming from happypreso, but on that particular thread I did notice as Sky-O has pointed out, that Sky-O and a couple of other people did ask very relevant questions addressed to the OP, they were not attacking or judgemental, and the OP ignored them. :?

It is so hard for many people on here, given the things they have seen and the work they do, for them not to be judgemental. Who can blame them for that?

And when relevent questions, offering help, or trying to gather more info to give advice, are ignored, I cant blame anyone for getting frustrated and annoyed.

I may be completely wrong (probably) but I do feel that people who can take a bit of stick, but stay with it and improves their own knowledge and their bunnies lives for the better, are kinda always going to be that sort of person.

And from experience on here befor there are people that no matter how much they are reached out to, helped, advised etc etc , they are determined to carry on their own merry way and only seem to take pleasure in arguing with those who dont agree with their, often, thoughtless and selfish ways.

Hmmm sorry not really sure any of that was relevent. Thinkin out loud really! :oops: :lol:

I do agree (I am on your side!) but like I said above, she posted looking for answers on a dead litter and ended up defending her whole garden set up!

I do agree with you as well, that some people can't be helped, no matter how much time, advise etc you give them. I know that there is always cruel people in this world - it doesn't stop at animals, humans are cruel to other humans too. I do also agree with you as well that people that stick with it are 'those kind of people' and will improve their knowledge - like me, I am just an oridinary person that wanted two rabbits as pets. Now, esp with my two poorly baby buns they have taken over my life!! (and I will not re-home the two blind buns as I really dont think this is fair althought my OH dont agree with me!)

I know people have strong views esp if they have seen the worse of people, which many of you have (ie the unwanted buns etc) but there are lots of 'ordinary' people like me that you can help :) Personally I think there are still lots of people in the dark about looking after rabbits - they had them as a child and think looking after them now was like it was back then ... they are the people that we need to reach out to and help and personally I think we can do that but you (ie everyone) need to not judge people on their first post.

Very good post! :wave:

Has anyone considered that maybe the OP on the other thread is embarrassed? Doesn't know what to say? Maybe just by reading the replies she/he has realised that maybe some of their practices in keeping animals isn't the most beneficial and feels abit ashamed to respond truthfully?

Or maybe because she/he was attacked so quickly feels that if they reply they will possibly be attacked again?

Im not saying that Sky O made them feel they couldn't reply by PM or on the thread but with other people doing it they may think Sky O will be the same after they have replied.

Hopefully they will be back to answer the questions asked and then people can take it from there to help them. :)

If she wanted help for the litter she could have ignored all replies and just answered those who tried to help in a constructive way. HOWEVER, I think this thread is good in a general way because it can work as a reminder for people, but I do think that making it specific and personal about a different thread may not be so good. Mayb e if you have a problem with that thread and how people responded could you take it to the mods?

Hi, I am not getting involved with that thread to be honest (and it hasn't just been that thread that I noticed it on), I didn't read who said what etc I was just reading through the whole thing and honestly felt sorry for the OP. Maybe she was just winding everyone up, I dont know - but I just know if it was me then I wouldn't have stuck around for every long .. that is all I meant by my post.

Has anyone considered that maybe the OP on the other thread is embarrassed? Doesn't know what to say? Maybe just by reading the replies she/he has realised that maybe some of their practices in keeping animals isn't the most beneficial and feels abit ashamed to respond truthfully?

Or maybe because she/he was attacked so quickly feels that if they reply they will possibly be attacked again?

Im not saying that Sky O made them feel they couldn't reply by PM or on the thread but with other people doing it they may think Sky O will be the same after they have replied.

Hopefully they will be back to answer the questions asked and then people can take it from there to help them. :)

I agree, I would definately not reply to posts where people call me 'not all there' :(

I was very nice Leanne *nods* I hope that the person does come back and does respond to someone and get the help. If that's not me, I don't mind, but I do hope they do have someone who can help them.

Thank you, I am glad it was taken as advised and not as an attack on anyone :)

I will hold my hands up and admit I was a member who attacked, and I now know in hindsight that I should not have done that. It was an upsetting thread though and my passion for my love of animals took over my mouth and I didnt put my brain into gear before typing.

I got the impression the original poster seemed quite young.

I have noticed at times as well that some of the younger new members who have joined the forum to learn about care for bunnies/piggies etc and may not be getting it quite right as they are new to bunny care seem to get shot down and dont post again and we should really be encouraging them to learn and care for their pets. I knew nothing when I joined and realise the forum is a great source of knowledge for new bunny/piggie/hammy/furry owners.

Well iwas a breeder i have bred mini lops and lion lops to show. I do not currently breed as i no longer have time to show and i will not breed my animals to purely supply the pet trade.

I am not ashamed of what i have done as my animals all recieve the best care i can give them.

I foster and bond for a rescue centre and see no difference in those animals to my own 'pedigree' rabbits.

I was talking to that particular person by pm and i feel the responses they had were quite unecessary and cruel in some posts. If it had been me i would have not even bothered replying full stop and never come on this forum again.

I fully agree with rescues and hate cruel treatment of any animal but jumping down someones throat wont help matters, not in real life or cyber life, i will not repeat what this person said via pm but IF true i hope they do come back and learn from the vast amount of knowledge and help that there is to be found on this forum

Back