• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks got worse

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

Molly's hocks were getting better a little while ago. The fur was starting to grow back and everything, but today, I have found that most of the fur on her hocks have gone. It's sort of dark pink, not red or bleeding. I don't know what more I do to help stop the sore hocks. They have hay everywhere they go, in their run, hutch, litter trays, on top of their house in their run. I really don't know what's causing it or how to stop it. I think the grass (which they go on in summer) is softer for her so hopefully that'll help, but they aren't going on there until April. Is there anything else I could do?

She had a cream which had steroids in it, that I put on when it was quite bad, bleeding and really red. I'd rather not have to every day put a cream on to stop it if I can.

She had a cream which had steroids in it, that I put on when it was quite bad, bleeding and really red. I'd rather not have to every day put a cream on to stop it if I can.

Couldnt you apply Suda cream? Would that help? Or is she sore in general from everything? Not just in the run?

I ask, as Violet (rex) suffers from sore hocks, she was overweight when she was rescued (Honeybunnies), so we have to monitor her weight. I also house her in a shed with a deeep bed of straw and hay and the floor is lined with lino.

When i put her in the run i apply sudacream, just incase, had no problems so far.

You shouldn't put steroid cream on skin for to long as it thins it.Have you tried flamazine cream twice daily?Maybe put rubber matting on the floor of their run,you can get it from from Ebay at a very reasonable price

One thing that also helps is to keep the back claws as short as you can, if they are too long the weight is pshed onto the hock, making things worse. Doing this really helped an old buck of mine whoses hocks used to bleed sometimes when they were very bad, despite using creams and lots of bedding.

We had this with 2 mini rexes we had here with us... we were told to put sudocream on :) Vikkivet on here now has them and has said theyre now cleared up :) The only thing she did differently was put them onto lino, whilst with us they were on thick hay :? Maybe you could PM her, im sure she wouldnt mind :) xXx

Howdy, found the thread! yeah i have to admit i was kind of lucky with my girls. their hocks werent very sore when i got them from Becky, and i put sudocrem on them every day for about 2 weeks. Now they each have a tiny bald patch but its not red or inflammed, you can poke it and they dont mind so i am guessing not sore any more! :oops::lol: So i am just keeping an eye on them. I agree about short claws/nails.

The lino i used was leftover from doing our kitchen and is textured and cushioned (mum wanted comfy bare feet :lol:) so i am guessing that helped. they dont have a general layer of straw or hay, but when they are not running around they lie down in a plastic dog bed filled with hay and straw, to keep the weight off. I agree with the suggestion of rubber matting, or that play matting that looks like jigsaw pieces (saw some in B&Q the other day) under the hay for extra cushioning.

a combination of cream and matting should work, with perhaps extra softness wherever they like to flop out or sleep. hope that helps

What would happen if she licked the sudocream on her feet? There is plastic mats underneath the hay. It's everywhere that could be a problem. Milly chases her so probably putting a lot of pressure on her feet to move quickly out of the way. I don't think she's finding it very sore as she's happy in herself, eating and pooing fine, and she sits on it a lot. I haven't tried touching it yet, but will tomorrow. I'll take a closer look at it.

Back