• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Sophie and Sandy

CHH

Warren Scout
They're both under a year old. Sophie is 7 months and we're not certain about Sandy as he's a rescue bunny. He is quite young though.

Sophie has been with our other male (Smudge who's 7) for a while but Sandy is to be her partner.

We put them together in the bathroom today (neither have been in there) and he just humped her silly! She got a bit fed up after a few minutes and started to put up some resistance. She was growling, kicking and biting so we separated them again.

Sophie has been speyed but Sandy hasn't been neutered yet. He gets done on Jan 8th (we only got him the other day). Is there any point in trying them together again before he's been done?

I have to say I would wait until Sandy's been neutered & his hormones have calmed down - I think doing it before will just frustrate him & may end up with Sophie really hurting him if she gets too fed up with his attempts to woo her :shock:

Sal I seem to recall that it's a threesome and the two girls aren't getting on so Sophie is going to be bonded with a new man to create two pairs :)

I would not put her with her new man until he has been neutered - the urge for him to hump her due to hormones rather than just hierachy will be too great, and he will harrass her and drive her crackers. She could also bite his 'bits' which could be very nasty. Better to be patient and wait until he has had his op and calmed down a little first :)

Thanks folks. We'll keep them apart for now.

How long should we wait after his op?

I think I'll call the vet tomorrow or Saturday and see if we can bring his op forward to Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:
We're nowhere near trying them together again yet, but Sandy was done on Monday and it's noticeable that he's already doing a bit less chinning!!

The poor wee chap was in his hutch for all of yesterday (vets orders) so he loved his wander round the garden this afternoon. He got a few dirty looks from our other boy bunny Smudge though. Just as well Smudge was safely behind bars :lol:

Back