Thread: Fishy Smelling Urine?

Warren Scout

Default Fishy Smelling Urine?

I never had any problems with Tinker, but since having his mate Belle, I'm not sure which but one of their urine smells terrible. Not normal but fishy, really strong fishy.

Their litter tray is cleaned every day very well but still whenver urine is present this terrible odour is here. It's driving me mad because even after I clean then you can smell fish, and I don't want my house to smell of fish

What could it be? I know you give rabbits cannomile tea to calm their digestive system, is there anyting else that may help their urinary system? They always have fresh water, I think it may be Belle the female.

Thak ytou for any advice or opinions?

Dandelions are diuretics and supposed to be good for their wees.... but I'm not sure if a fishy smell is something that might need some thought? Are both buns neutered? Could it be they're "marking" if Bella has just come into the scene?

Warren Scout

Yes they are both neutered but she is still under a year, and has moved in with him so it is possible she could be marking. I will see if I can find dandelions. She does hump him, so it could be the urnie is also a sign of dominance?

When bunnies are marking it does smell pretty vile. Not fishy really more sort of sweet vanilla musky yucky.

does either of them look like they might be having problems peeing? an infection might cause the funny smell. If you think it might bbe an infection then a trip to the vet is in order. Cranberry juice in moderation is another good tonic for urine problems.

Rabbits in rescue need your help www.fatfluffs.com
    Adopt, foster, donate, sponsor, volunteer

I think I read somewhere that kidney problems can cause a nasty smell in urine.....probably worth getting them checked over as smelling 'fishy' certainly isn't normal.

Is it definately from the wee? Do either of the rabbits smell odd?

Bunny Mummy to Juno, Scout & Fiver
    RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum

Warren Scout

They don't seem to be having a problem weeing, Belle looks a bit funny when she is going but she is timid anyway. No the bunnys themselves smell lovely.