• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

disinfectant

Nala's Mummy

Young Bun
My little house bunny Nala is being treated for mites :(
Does anyone know of a good strong cleaner I can use on her home to make sure I get rid of them? I don't know where they came from! I really don't want her to get them again. Anyone else had any problems with mites?

Hi, my two foster bunnies got mites whilst i had them. I treated the buns with xeno 450 and then sprayed all the hutch and run with Acclaim. Acclaim is a household spray that you use once every 12 months to rid the house of fleas etc. I phoned the manufacturers of Acclaim and they told me that so long as i removed the bunnies from the hutch/run and then allowed the spray to fully dry, it would be safe to use. The instructions on the can tell you to air the rooms of the house and to remove pets so just make sure you do that with the hutch. The bunnies were cured of mites are were not re-infected. Its worth noting that many rabbits will carry cheyletiella (assuming thats what your buns have) and not cause them any problems. But f the rabbit becomes stressed or immunosupressed, the mites will flare up and cause visible signs and problems. The spray should be available from your vets although my new practice stocks a different spray called Indorex. You would need to ask your practice to phone the manufacturer to check its safe.

thank you for your advice. when you say visible signs does that include the small patch of hair loss and dandruff? how serious is it? its going to cost quite a bit at the vets if I keep having to get her treated for it...so she might just carry them? can you ever finally get rid of them? She came from a rescue centre 4 months ago so do you think she might have got them there or is it something like the hay I've given her where they came from?

I am thinking of changing carpet. At a spot where my bun pee thru the carpet and the underlay and soak into the sub-floor, I use breach, w/i a few hr., it's as good as new.

If you decide to go w/ breach, when it's done, and the hutch is nice and clean, spray it w/ water to get rid of any traces of breach or the breach smell

But I have no mites.

My buns have had mites in the past and I have ordered xeno 450 off the internet as it worked out about half the price my vet was going to charge me.
It has really worked well on mine. Pam

my guinea pig misty had a bad case of mites took a month at the vets to get rid of them with drops antibiotic tablets and a shampoo but eventually they went. I just steamed there whole cage several times and got a mite spray from PAH they have never returned. I dotn know eher they came from We got them from a family who couldnt take care of them anymore and 5 months later they got mites it was weird!!

Most bunnies carry a few mites harmlessly within their fur, but the problems come when the mite population expands and starts causing the problems you can see - fur loss, 'dandruff', itchiness etc. Sometimes the mites can come in things like the hay, sometimes it can be because the bun is poorly or stressed and this can allow the normal low levels to expand.

I would get your bun to the vets for a good thorough checkover, the treatment usually consists of either an injection or dropper on back of neck of ivermectin, two or three doses 2 weeks apart - and of course if your vet identifies any health issue that could be contributing to it, then that needs to be treated as well. In the meantime I would change the hay and spray the hutch/carpets (if she's indoors) with an appropriate insecticide spray - you can get specific mite sprays as well as the broader stuff like acclaim. If the bun is healthy that should deal with it :)

Back