• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help needed!! miffys

ab1063

Warren Scout
getting speyed a week today. I've been told to call it a hystericimy or something.

is there any preperation i should do for it?
should i be feeding her more/less?
should i stop feeding her before the op?
help i know nothing about this so all advice is really helpful!

feed her the same as usual if fact feed her more because they need all they can eat before the op. Thats what my vet told me anyway. If your not sure you can ring your vet to double check. Also keep her warm when she comes home. Hope that helps.

J x

You must feed her as normal - a bunny cant be starved as her gut will stop working which can be vital in bunnies :(

Id make sure you have some towels/sheets or even a piece of vetbed to put her on (she wont be able to go on straw/hay/shavings for a few days as it may affect her wound). She'll need to be kept warm for around 24 hours after the op as bunnies cannot regulate their temps after an op :)

After the op you need to make sure she is weeing/pooing fine :) If not she'll need a gut stimulant from the vets :)

Does she have a hay rack? She will still need a constant supply of hay to eat from a hay rack or similar (cant be put on the floor just incase she lays on it)

My Lola has been speyed today, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)

Hope that helps a little :) What day is she going? xXx

she's going next tuesday.
thanks for the advice was really helpful.
i'm really nervous,
miffys a very moody little girl, the vet might not have any fingers by the wednesday!!

do you think if i layer her cage with blankets that will be suitable?
what about her toilet?
should i just put like papertowls or kitchenroll down on that so she can't injure herself?

will she have stitiches?
will the dissolve themselves or will i have to take her back to the vet?

Back