Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can cats kill rabbits?

Default Can cats kill rabbits?

Our rabbits have the run of the garden and just lately a cat has been appearing - we don't normally get any cats in our garden. I am worried they'll get hurt

RIP Lars - we love you so much xxx

My cats only really catch baby rabbits (so heartbreaking) but they're petrified of my two when they're free ranging, mainly as Toffee just waltzed straight up to Max and that scared the poo out of him! Also Ghostie wouldn't think twice about giving them a nip on the nose!
    Do you leave them free ranging un supervised?
    Hetty...

My Heart Has Joined the Thousand, For My Friend Stopped Running Today.
    Have fun at the bridge my gorgeous Gabriel and Benji. Scarlett will look after you x x

My biggest cat has caught wild baby rabbits before now he doesnt chase my lot but i never leave them alone unsupervised

We used to leave them unsupervised but now we have to watch them. Lars is tiny - he is like a baby really

RIP Lars - we love you so much xxx

Yes cats can kill rabbits.If I were you Id be watching how the cat behaves around your bunnies.I have a cat which comes in the garden but my bunnies are twice the size of it so it leaves them alone.My next door neighbour has free range mini lops and the cat is always stalking them but hasn't hurt them Yet

Quote Originally Posted by bridget View Post
    We used to leave them unsupervised but now we have to watch them. Lars is tiny - he is like a baby really
    Can you proof the garden so a cat can't get in?
    I would supervise until Lara is older (love the name), just in case.
    First i need to bunny proof the garden before i can let the buns have free ranging time un supervised
    Hetty...

My Heart Has Joined the Thousand, For My Friend Stopped Running Today.
    Have fun at the bridge my gorgeous Gabriel and Benji. Scarlett will look after you x x

Warren Veteran

they will but my rabbitr angle scares my cat sensless

My brother's cats regularly bring home full sized wild rabbits, along with mice and birds !!! It's just the nature of some cats, it would be like wandering into a sweety shop to find two rabbits trapped in a garden. I wouldn't trust any cat even tho I love them dearly!!

Warren Scout

My cat is terrified of the rabbits since my big girl beat him up years ago, but my old next door neighbours cat used to bring home full sized rabbits. Also bear in mind that fear and shock might kill a rabbit even without the cat touching it.
    ~Bandit Mist, Sealy Calkin, Schatje-Oren Turin and Pandora Bea~

I found my cats in the run all huddled up in the hutch the other day while floppy was going around his normal business i've since proofed it all so they can't do it anymore but they also sniff each other but the dogs do aswell bt thats mine, there all use to each other even tho i don't leave them alone, wouldn't trust someone elses cat mind