Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Female Rabbit Humping Male Rabbit

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=216105

Hi SammyG,
    Please have a look at this thread & give it some thought.

You can not change the world by adopting an animal,but you can change the world for that animal.
    (Author unknown)
    Thanks Jacks-Jane for my awesome signature!

Both my rabbits have been speyed/neutered, yet my female rabbit humps my male rabbit. Is this a dominanc thing then? My male rabbit just sits there and lets her do it too (he's quite placid anyway, nothing really phases him!) If it's a dominance thing then I guess it's quite normal and I shouldn't worry?

We have had two bonded spayed females that are two years old. Up to now they have gotten along fine but suddenly one is acting like a male by trying to hump the other. Is this normal? And is it potentially harmful. My wife has noticed small tufts of white hair in the the crate but no blood or other issues. It is hot in Arizona right now so they only get about an hour of outside exercise. What should be our response to this behavior.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by RayGirdler View Post
    We have had two bonded spayed females that are two years old. Up to now they have gotten along fine but suddenly one is acting like a male by trying to hump the other. Is this normal? And is it potentially harmful. My wife has noticed small tufts of white hair in the the crate but no blood or other issues. It is hot in Arizona right now so they only get about an hour of outside exercise. What should be our response to this behavior.
    Hi, welcome to the forum

There are a couple of reasons that spring to mind, which could be causing this change in behaviour.

Humping is sometimes a dominance issue, so if the one humping is sensing that the other rabbit's health is compromised in some way, this could be the response. A vet examination would put your mind at rest on that one.

Alternatively, and in my view probably more likely, is boredom. If, as you say, they get little exercise because it's too hot atm, they might be getting bored in their crate. Is it possible to let them free range for a while at least indoors? How large is their crate? Perhaps you could provide some stimulation for them with rabbit friendly things to nibble. I don't know what would be available in Arizona, but perhaps some tree branches.

The behaviour between rabbits of the same sex happens occasionally and is not in itself harmful. A problem would arise, if the one being humped got upset and then a fight could happen which would mean you would need to split them up.

I hope you can sort something out for them.

Wise Old Thumper

Although they are spayed one of them is a bit broody hence the fur in the litter tray. This is a hint to the other rabbit who can't do anything about it as she is a female also.

Thanks to you both, it is a peaceable kingdom today. We added some more chew toys and will monitor. Soon the heat here should cool some and then they can have a lot more time outside. We'll post any changes, again thanks.

New Kit

I found this thread when I was searching for answers to this issue with my 2 rabbits. They are a brother and sister (spayed and neutered) who are 5 months old. Just in the last week, the female has been very aggressively humping the male (who is smaller). At first, he just let it happen, but now he runs away. It hasn't seemed to affect their bond as they still sleep next to each other, play etc. I think it may be bothering me more than it bothers him, but I just feel bad for him. If it IS a dominance thing, will she do this constantly, or will it eventually run it's course?

Wise Old Thumper

How long ago was your female spayed?