• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Freddie - Post Neutering

FluffyBun

Warren Scout
Freddie had the snip yesterday and is spending the next day or so in our kitchen, in a pen. Last night when he came home he was pretty much the same as normal, as were his poos. But this morning his poos are smaller and black. Even so, he seems lively, happy and is an eating machine (as ever!) I've given him some Excel, some broccoli and a little bit of apple and have left him with some Timothy hay now.

Should I worry? As I say he seems happy and fine - pretty well as normal. He's having a great time being in the house, too as he's so friendly and sociable! Is just the tiny poos are worrying me - especially as they looked normal yesterday (but maybe that was stuff he'd already digested before his op?)

The vet injected him after the op and there's clearly no stasis as the poo quantity is the same as normal. Should I worry?

The black poos will be due to a lack of hay for a time; as long as he is eating now & getting plenty of hay then there's no need to worry, unless they continue.

I agree that less hay than normal will make the poos smaller and darker. I have also found that the anaesthetic will make them darker.

I would say though that I find that feeding Excel makes for darker poos anyway, plus apple and broccoli, whilst fine can also do so. I'd make sure he's eating loads of hay and the poos should soon be back to being golden and large.

Ta, both.

He's on the hay as we speak. He can eat for England so shouldn't be too long before he's back to normal, touch wood. The vet nurse told my husband Freddie was eating as soon as he came round, yesterday - which is about typical! I just panicked a bit as his poos looked normal yesterday when he got home, only been black and tiny today. Thanks for the reassurance!:wave:

Back