• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit swaying

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
Hi, we have a new rescue rabbit, 5 months old mini lop.

When she sits down, she starts swaying her head from side to side. It's not a big move, and she doesnt do it all the time. She doesn't do it when she's stretched out.

Is this normal, or does she have balance problems? Our other rabbit doesnt do this.

Thank you

Hi, we have a new rescue rabbit, 5 months old mini lop.

When she sits down, she starts swaying her head from side to side. It's not a big move, and she doesnt do it all the time. She doesn't do it when she's stretched out.

Is this normal, or does she have balance problems? Our other rabbit doesnt do this.

Thank you

its called scanning it is done so a rabbit can focus on something close up if they have poor eye sight. is your rabibt a red eyed white rew...blue eyed white..bew or have eye problems?

Hi when you next go to your vet I would get him to check your bunnies ears to rule out an ear infection.

It can happen to any bun with REW in their heritage, which generally are red eyed whites, and also siamese sables too.

It might be worth getting her checked out, but it is also very common so if there is no physical problem it is just her struggling with her eyesight and seeing as best she can.

i have 3 rews that do this jim does this lots i must admit it did freak me out and i was on the phone to donna going help, ive nicknamed jim terminator junior :lol:

It can happen to any bun with REW in their heritage, which generally are red eyed whites, and also siamese sables too.

It might be worth getting her checked out, but it is also very common so if there is no physical problem it is just her struggling with her eyesight and seeing as best she can.

I did not know that about siamese sables! I have one that scans:D

Ooh! I managed to teach someone something :D *is proud* It's because genetically breeders use REWs and Sables to breed together, so they often get most of the same problems.

Free The Rew 8

tHANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES. SHE IS WHITE WITH BROWN/GREY EARS AND TAIL. SHE HAS VERY DARK RED EYES, I THOUGHT THEY WERE BLACK BUT THEY ARE SLIGHTLY RED. I DIDN'T REALISE THIS CAN LEAD TO EYE PROBLEMS.

WILL DEFINITELY GET HER CHECKED OUT WHEN WE GO TO THE VET NEXT WEEK.

BY THE WAY LOTS OF PEOPLE SAY FREE THE REW 8 - WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

George (pic in siggy) does this :) Hes done it since i had him and i did ask the vet about it :oops: thevet assured me it was because of his red eyes etc and their poor sight :) xXx I think its rather sweet :oops: :) xXx

Back