• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

occassional bulging eyes/sore and running

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hiya
My little nethie has suffered with a sore running eye for several years. He has also had molar spurs so we have put the eye poblem down to that. He has taicil drops in his eye when it flares up. at the moment it has became very red and he tends to keep it closed most of the time. Over the last month i have also noticed that his good eye seems to bulge, not all the time but it's really noticable, the sore eye does it sometimes but not as bad. my vet has looked at it and cannot feel any abscesses or problems. i do remember reading somewhere that 2 bulging eyes can be a sign of a tumour. he also has sneezing on and off but we have put that down to an allergy and since i changed to dust free hay he has been a lot better.
i am just a little concerned about the bulging and if it is the start of something. he is 8 years old and his partner recenltly had headtilt due to possible pasterella, so i do worry although he is fine in himslef.
any advice please!

he had an xray last time he had his spurs done as he went into stasis and all was o.k. He also had a bad reaction to the anisthetic so at this stage i am reluctant to put him under. he hasn't had cultures as there is no discharge from his nose.

How about his tear ducts flushed?

There is a definite problem here that your vet does need to get to the bottom of because it could be causing him pain and discomfort, and also, the sooner you find the reason, potentially the easier it is to fix.

Teeth might be a concern again (as you know) because he is a nethie and they are prone. I wonder if there are ways to do these things without a GA, in terms of x-rays, etc.

nethies eyes are quite "bulgy" compared to normal. This is roise on a non bulgy day. Teh more scared/curious she is, the more her eyes widen and look like they are bulging....but she's fine.

P1010030.jpg

& a dust allergy can cause a watery & swollen eye, although it does sound like its a bit more sore than that.

Has your docotor tried flushing the tear ducts, anthihistamines for alergy and also ruled out the snuffles if she's been sneezing.

The other possible cause of a bulging eye is an absess or tumor behind the eye but my understanding is that it would bulge all the time & be quite dramatic.

Rabbits with chronically runny eyes can develop glaucoma because the fluid builds up behind the eyeball....I don't know whether it would appear to get better sometimes though :?

pm hugos there as she has had buns this way before and could help definatly could be tumours or abcesses behind the eyes though.whcih can be very painful x

thanks everyone. i have had a rabbit with an abscess behind the eye before and it definately doesn't look the same as that. he has had his eye flushed several times before and i did think he maybe did need that again. We have an apointment tomorrow so will get him throughly checked over.
his eyes have definately changed and although sometimes they look normal, other times his eye does bulge so much that i can see the white of it. he does do it more when he's scared but it is the good eye that does it most!
he is fine in himself and eating really well but i do worry! i'll let you knoiw what the vet says!

been to the vet today and the vet thinks that rather than the eye bulging it is the sore one that is retracting and making the other appear bigger. The tear duct was flushed but wouldn't flush all the way through so we think it will be a permanent thing due to his molars. Very common with nethies! We are going to try different drops and see if they help and possibly a course of anibiotics if it doesn't get any better. Otherwise Angel appears very healthy so i am not so worried now!
thanks everyone!

Good news :)

Nethies are good at trying to give us heart attacks aren't they......roise decided to go all lopsided in her face on me & I thought she might have had a stroke.....turns out she's just a lopsided sniffer.

Back