Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ooooh guess what I heard in a pet shop today!

Wise Old Thumper

Default Ooooh guess what I heard in a pet shop today!

The hamster thread in general chat just reminded me

Took my sister to the pet shop today to get her lads some ratty toys and there was a man trying to buy a hamster for his kids, and the lady working there refused the sale and said they would not sell animals for children

When we got to the till I said does that include rabbits and she said yes!! Said they are no longer selling animals to people who go in with children and are questioning who the animal is for when adults are in buying pets alone

I know it could be better in that they could just not sell them but I was so pleased to hear this and just thought I would share it with you guys

This is coming just after another pet shop who always had loads of rabbits in have stopped selling rabbits, are directing people to the animal shelter and giving people who pass their homecheck a free starter kit of rabbit pellets/water bottle/chew toys...

Just makes me feel a bit hopeful that things are changing x

Mama Doe

Makes a refreshing change.

Thats brilliant news

oh thats great unfortunately my small local petshop has just started to sell rabbits and other animals

I know people might hate me saying this but I think that is wrong. Fair enough if they are not educated but I don't think they should stop selling pets for children. Just make sure they are educated. I would have hated it if I wasn't allowed any pets as a kid. It has made me who I am, training to be a vet nurse. I think the problem is the educating really. Do they not sell to kids at all or just to families who see as not fit? Like would they sell to someone who had done their research before buying a pet? And some kids look after animals better than adults do.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by jenzel5 View Post
    I know people might hate me saying this but I think that is wrong. Fair enough if they are not educated but I don't think they should stop selling pets for children. Just make sure they are educated. I would have hated it if I wasn't allowed any pets as a kid. It has made me who I am, training to be a vet nurse. I think the problem is the educating really. Do they not sell to kids at all or just to families who see as not fit? Like would they sell to someone who had done their research before buying a pet? And some kids look after animals better than adults do.
    I dont think its wrong because I dont think they should sell animals full stop Maybe their next step will be not to sell animals to anyone

Im sure some kids do look after animals better than adults, but at the end of the day a kid cant call an emergency vet in the middle of the night, get there and back and pay a bill that has run into hundreds I know a lot of adults probably choose not to do that but a child would never be able to so kids should not have animals unless it was the parent that actually wanted the animal and is prepared to be the main carer. I dont think children should look after animals at all. I think if the parent wants that animal and the child helps feed it or something thats ok

I was told they arent selling animals to anyone who is buying a pet for a child. She said if the adult wants the animal they will say that rather than say my son/daughter wants them

Nobody is saying the child in the pet shop today will never have a hamster, ive no doubt they stopped at the pet shop down the road and brought one And there are enough in rescue centers so if anyone is really serious they will go through a homecheck and adopt if they cant buy one x

The Petshop Near Me Is So Bad For Animals.
    They Dont Know The Gender/Age/Birthday And The Hamster Bite And There Is Like 10 Boy And Girl Hammies With Just A Lil Bit Of Water And Food. Shameful!
    Rabbits - Dont Even Get Me Started In That Petshop Urghh

I went to a small independent pet shop yesterday & left really quite upset. There were some adorable rabbits in way too small cages, the hamsters/mice/gerbils were in cages stacked on top of each other so if my toddler had been clumsy he could have knocked them all over. Someone bought kittens in to sell, he explained that one had been to the vets with an iffy tummy & they said they would just clean it away...

I had phoned the RSPCA about the size cage needed for the rescue hamster we are getting on monday & none of their ages were big enough & they were rather put out when I told them!

I will be telling the RSPCA about them when we go there tomorrow. I still feel upset thinking about those rabbits. I know P@H is often critised but their animals are kept in complete luxury compared to this pet shop.

The rabbit hutches they were selling were only big enough for guinie pigs, if that & their runs were not much better & too low, no way a rabbit could stand up on it's back legs & look around.

I didn't buy anything there & wont be going back. It's still upsetting me, those poor rabbits, I dread to think what accomodation they could be spending the rest of their lives in if they new owner gets the hutch from the same shop

I think that's great. An animal should never be specifically for a child, it needs the adult to be willing to help out and have responsibility too.

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Mia & Honey View Post
    oh thats great unfortunately my small local petshop has just started to sell rabbits and other animals
    Same here. My local Jollyes just started selling rabbits and hamsters etc