• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytrill Update

davemulheran

Warren Scout
Hi all..

to summarise, Ralph has a bladder / UTI again :(

we have managed to succesfully give him 1ml of baytrill by oral syring for the past two weeks. without fail.

There is still some left in the bottle from the vet. Should I continue untill it runs out? i would say there is another few days left.

It wont do any harm will it?

I just want to make sure he has had as much as is needed before I get wee samples and take him back to the vet to see if it has cured him

also is baytrill pretty good? im hoping it will have sorted his prob, he seems a lot livelier.. but his wee's are still milky / creamy! :(

Is there anything bad about his diet, I've tried to cut out all excess calcium. It is mainly a 50/50 mix of science selective pellets and p@h pellets (he's a fussy ******) he gets a small pinch of each, twice a day (7.30am and 5.30pm) also timothy hay with herbs from p@h and normal timothy hay

also some sprigs of mint / coriander and a small amount of cos lettuce or cabbage / greens

and maybee the odd treat (naturals range from p@h)

thks

Dave

Last edited:
:wave: i dont think it would hurt to use the baytril still...
greens are very high in calcium and cos lettuce isnt good for buns either as it has a bad effect on buns..(cant remember what :oops:)
ours have a low ish calcium diet.. romaine lettuce , broccoli,cauliflower.
carrots,kale,greens very occasionally as they all have high calcium.
there is a list on here somewhere that gives the values of calcium.
science selective is the best for low calcium.:D

hiya

sorry my typo, I meant he has romaine lettuce, the dark reddy type.. not cos. Sorry, my bad.

Fragile little things, rabbits arent they!

baytrill

It wont harm him to use up the medicine. It is just an antibiotic to fight infection. It seems to be used for everything. If the vet said use it for 7 days and you have then it wont harm to stop it either. Winnie is on it at mo for his feet and she said use it for 7 days but the nurse said she had put a bit extra in so think im just going to continue till its finished.
Hope buns all better and 'hoppy' :)

Back