• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pet shop bunny.

Mr Cookie Bun

Mama Doe
:wave:

Please please please bombard me with messages telling me not to buy a bunny from a pet shop. I'm not really fond of netherland dwarfs but I have seen one in a pet shop and it's been there for about 5 weeks. It's the only one left (on it's own for weeks) and it's obviously the runt cos it is a lot smaller than the others were. She's not exactly what people would call pretty but I have fell for her hard! I have even went into town to go to the shop just to see if she's still there. I am weakening fast. My 13yr old daughter has had to drag me out the shop! My lionhead Cookie gets "done" in just under 2 weeks and we have been looking at rescues for a girlfriend for him but they are mostly pairs or have to be kept because of cruelty cases. Please someone keep me busy - I can get a bus to get her in about 10 mins.

Don't because when her little brother or sister is brought in as her replacement are you going to buy them too? You'd be far, far better giving a donation to a rescue, so many are closing down as they can't cope, so help a rescue out instead, you can't save them all, and you aren't really helping this bun by supporting the breeder who'll breed more!

Hope I catch you in time! Don't do it!!! I know its probably gorgeous, but if you get the last one they'll only place another order from a breeder and you dont know what the conditions will be like.

My Bunny Norman was in the pet shop alone for 5 months,the lady i got her from didnt really want a rabbit,but she took him home got him neutered,and when she found she didnt have much time for him cos of work she got him a girlfriend and they love each other very much.he is a dear little bunny and now i have got him I spoil him and give him loads of extra love and toys to make his life better.I also fell for a giant at pets at home a while ago and tried to get him through writing to head office as he was 9 months and not neutered,but my efforts failed.
If you can afford to give this bun all the things he needs and your instincts tell you to get him then I would,and give him a home she deserves
go back and get her :love:

I know. It's just that all her brothers and sisters have been sold and she's all alone and so teeny and because I keep going in to see her she has started coming to the front of her cage when she sees me! Will miss the last bus in a couple of mins so thanks! for keeping me busy.

Please do not buy from a pet shop.
As others have said she will be replaced and then will you buy those too?!
You will be supporting and encouraging a trade that needs to be stopped.

Search on Rabbit Rehome for a bun from a rescue and perhaps a bunny run could help get one to you

i have never had a problem with pet shop bunnys sorry people!!!

i think its good to get rescues but i cant find any so a pet shop is looking ok as well :roll:

its up 2 you 2 deside rilly

I always just look, then I think about all those rabbits on RR. And remember all those rescues that HAVE to turn away 100's a month. If I had known the extent of the problem I would have never brought Charlie and Lola. But I never realised just how bad it is. I will NEVER (long time I know) buy when there are so many already needing homes.

I think the best thing to do in these situations is always avoid pet shops that sell bunnies...

It's the only way I can stop myself from getting upset.

I only moved here just over a year ago and the pet shop usually doesn't sell livestock apart from fish. The woman who owns it has told me that they won't be having any more rabbits in because they cost too much to keep before they are sold. Don't know if I believe her or not - time will tell I suppose. It is quite hard to find a rabbit rescue where I am that hasn't closed down.

It's hard isn't it :( i am very pro-rescue but came so close to buying a petshop bun a while ago cos it was a cream and brown baby lionhead, absolutely adorable....but it's not worth it in the long run. think of all the rabbits awaiting space in rescues. even if there's no rescues near you, you could probably get a bunny run sorted out :) good luck finding a friend for cookie whatever you decide

I only moved here just over a year ago and the pet shop usually doesn't sell livestock apart from fish. The woman who owns it has told me that they won't be having any more rabbits in because they cost too much to keep before they are sold. Don't know if I believe her or not - time will tell I suppose. It is quite hard to find a rabbit rescue where I am that hasn't closed down.

Hi :wave: have you tried fife rabbit rescue? I have 6 gorgeous buns from there :).
The website is http://www.fiferabbitrescue.co.uk
The lady who runs it is on holiday but she will be back soon. There has been a problem with the site and the our rabbits page has gone but it will be sorted when she gets back :).

Back